* [ECOS] Cygwin & i386-target
@ 2001-03-12  6:15 Arne Knutsen
From: Arne Knutsen @ 2001-03-12  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I'm trying to build the tools for cross-compiling from Cygwin for i386
targets.

I'm using Cygwin on Win 2000 Pro
Downloaded and installed the following sources:
binutils-2.10.1, gcc-2.95.2 and insight-5.0.

Building binutils works OK.
When trying to make gcc, I get the following errors:

In file included from /src/gcc/gcc-2.95.2/gcc/libgcc2.c:48:
include/stddef.h:1: Invalid token in expression
make[1]: *** [libgcc2.a] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/build/gcc/gcc'
make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/tmp/build/gcc'

Inspection of stddef.h doesn't show any obvious errors.

Any idea what maybe wrong ?

/arne

* Re: [ECOS] Cygwin & i386-target
@ 2001-03-13  7:16 Rosimildo daSilva
From: Rosimildo daSilva @ 2001-03-13  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

>From: Bart Veer <bartv@redhat.com>
>To: rosimildo@hotmail.com
>CC: ecos-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com
>Subject: Re: [ECOS] Cygwin & i386-target
>Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 11:32:11 GMT
>
>The current situation is by no means perfect, but there is no solution
>that is going to satisfy everybody. Sure, many people would have
>preferred it if cygwin just worked entirely in binary mode, but that
>would have made it impossible to share files between a cygwin
>environment and typical Windows applications. That is important for at
>least some of the cygwin user base.
>
>If you have suggestions on how to improve cygwin, please use the
>appropriate cygwin mailing list. Also, please feel free to send bug
>reports to any operating system vendors who believe that two
>characters are needed to mark the end of a line in a text file.
>
>For the record, I believe that the current gcc CVS tree works much
>better in this regard, i.e. it will just ignore spurious carriage
>returns rather than throwing up errors like the above. This is not
>quite as simple as you might think, there are subtleties in the ISO C
>standard which must be observed by a conformant compiler. In due
>course, probably after the gcc 3.0 release, I would expect that to
>become available for cygwin users.

Bart, Thanks for your comments.

I understand that this is not a easy problem to fix. Otherwise,
the CygWin team would had fix it a long time ago. :-)
Sometimes I question if the proper priority has been done
to this problem. I consider it, the most important thing
that should be fixed, if possible. People has spent a
fair amount of time dealing with this silly thing.

In part this is a Windows stupidity of having two characters to
represent a new line. But, it is the way that it is, and we have
to leave with it.

I am happy to know that things will get better with GCC 3.0

Regards, Rosimildo.

* Re: [ECOS] Cygwin & i386-target
@ 2001-03-13  3:32 ` Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 2001-03-13  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rosimildo; +Cc: ecos-discuss

    <snip>

    Rosimildo> These strange errors are most likely caused by the
    Rosimildo> wrong handling of CRLF <--> LF. You most likely needs
    Rosimildo> to cleanup the source files with some utility such as
    Rosimildo> dos2unix.

    Rosimildo> This is *by far*, the most serious problem that CygWin
    Rosimildo> has. Nothing else comes close, and I am amazed that in
    Rosimildo> the last 4 years they have been unable to fix it.

The current situation is by no means perfect, but there is no solution
that is going to satisfy everybody. Sure, many people would have
preferred it if cygwin just worked entirely in binary mode, but that
would have made it impossible to share files between a cygwin
environment and typical Windows applications. That is important for at
least some of the cygwin user base.

If you have suggestions on how to improve cygwin, please use the
appropriate cygwin mailing list. Also, please feel free to send bug
reports to any operating system vendors who believe that two
characters are needed to mark the end of a line in a text file.

For the record, I believe that the current gcc CVS tree works much
better in this regard, i.e. it will just ignore spurious carriage
returns rather than throwing up errors like the above. This is not
quite as simple as you might think, there are subtleties in the ISO C
standard which must be observed by a conformant compiler. In due
course, probably after the gcc 3.0 release, I would expect that to
become available for cygwin users.

Bart

* RE: [ECOS] Cygwin & i386-target
@ 2001-03-12 23:39 ` Arne Knutsen
From: Arne Knutsen @ 2001-03-12 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Problem solved.

Got a tip from cross-gcc mailing-list:

Mount also the sourec-tree with the binary (-b) option.
Compiles fine now. I'll try to compile the eCos sources later today.

/arne

>I'm trying to build the tools for cross-compiling from Cygwin for i386
>targets.
>
>I'm using Cygwin on Win 2000 Pro Downloaded and installed the following
>sources: binutils-2.10.1, gcc-2.95.2 and insight-5.0.
>
>Building binutils works OK. When trying to make gcc, I get the following
>errors:
>
>In file included from /src/gcc/gcc-2.95.2/gcc/libgcc2.c:48:
>include/stddef.h:1: Invalid token in expression make[1]: *** [libgcc2.a]
>Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/build/gcc/gcc' make: *** [all-gcc]
>Error 2 make: Leaving directory `/tmp/build/gcc'
>
>Inspection of stddef.h doesn't show any obvious errors.
>
>Any idea what maybe wrong ?

These strange errors are most likely caused by the wrong
handling of CRLF  <--> LF. You most likely needs to cleanup
the source files with some utility such as dos2unix.

This is *by far*, the most serious problem that CygWin has.
Nothing else comes close, and I am amazed that in the last
4 years they have been unable to fix it.

Rosimildo.

* Re: [ECOS] Cygwin & i386-target
@ 2001-03-12 11:24 Rosimildo daSilva
From: Rosimildo daSilva @ 2001-03-12 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)