* Re: [ECOS] compiler
@ 2000-06-28  4:13 Rene.Affourtit
From: Rene.Affourtit @ 2000-06-28  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suresh N; +Cc: ecos-discuss, ecos-discuss-owner

I'm using the metaware compiler for the edb7xxx board

I made the decision to use another compilr/debugger because gdb didn't work
with my board (problem came up on the ml again thuis week).

Looking back it's not something I'd suggest somebody else to try.
*if* you insist on using another compiler, as an indication: it took me
about two months to get a working version of ecos.
It also cost me some configuration options and of course, difficulties in
incorporating new packages (e.g. TCP/IP).

my suggestion:
don't  switch compilers unless you absolutely must and expect real strange
results sometimes.

Rene

                    Suresh N
                    <nsuresh@cdotb.ernet.in>              To:     ecos-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com
                    Sent by:                              cc:
                    ecos-discuss-owner@sourceware.        Subject:     [ECOS] compiler
                    cygnus.com

                    06/28/00 01:16 PM

hi all

        we are planning to use singlestep debugger which  supports

diab compiler.

        so what are the issues involed to compile ecos using this or any

other compilers?

        has anybody already tried something like this?

        thanx in advance,

        bye

-----------------***************************************----------------
                                          N.SURESH
                                 Research Engineer,
                       Centre For Development of Telematics,
                                       71/1,Sneha Complex,
                                   Bangalore-560052
-----------------***************************************----------------

* Re: [ECOS] compiler
@ 2000-06-28  4:42 ` Björn Stenberg
From: Björn Stenberg @ 2000-06-28  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Suresh N wrote:

> we are planning to use singlestep debugger which supports diab
> compiler.

According to a discussion on the grossgcc list, SingleStep works with gcc:
  http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/crossgcc/1998-q1/msg00089.html

I would advice against using a proprietary compiler. It will give you
headaches...

--
Björn Stenberg
mailto:bjorn@haxx.se

* Re: [ECOS] compiler
@ 2000-06-28  4:12 ` Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 2000-06-28  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nsuresh; +Cc: ecos-discuss

    Suresh> hi all we are planning to use singlestep debugger which
    Suresh> supports diab compiler. so what are the issues involed to
    Suresh> compile ecos using this or any other compilers? has
    Suresh> anybody already tried something like this?

    Suresh> thanx in advance, bye

eCos has a number of dependencies on the GNU tools, as described in
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ecos/faq.html#porting_compiler
I have no experience with the diab compiler so do not know whether or
not it provides comparable functionality. The same applies to other
proprietary tools.

In addition the eCos maintainers may add further dependencies on the
GNU tools at any time, whenever appropriate. Hence even if you manage
to get the current release of eCos working with some other compiler,
this could break at any time.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer

* [ECOS] compiler
@ 2000-06-28  3:52 Suresh N