* [ECOS] When PLATFORM_SETUP1 code is executed?
@ 2001-08-04 19:26 Cristiano Ligieri Pereira
From: Cristiano Ligieri Pereira @ 2001-08-04 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

when this code is executed? Only when the application compiled is intented
to be a ROM Monitor?

Let me see if I understood it correctly (please correct me): It depends on
the variable CYG_HAL_STARTUP_ROM, which in turn is defined only if
CYGSEM_HAL_ROM_MONITOR is defined. So when the application is compiled to
be loaded to RAM this code doesn't need to be executed since it has
already been executed by the monitor (but then the memory is not
remmaped!!??). Even if it is compiled to be loaded to ROM, but not as a
monitor (RedBoot for instance), the code is also not included since the
monitor has to be executed before, which in turn transfer the execution to
the application. Is that how does it work?

Thanks,
Cristiano.

Cristiano Ligieri Pereira - http://www.ics.uci.edu/~cpereira

* Re: [ECOS] When PLATFORM_SETUP1 code is executed?
@ 2001-08-05 18:02 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-08-05 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cristiano Ligieri Pereira; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Cristiano Ligieri Pereira wrote:

> when this code is executed? Only when the application compiled is intented
> to be a ROM Monitor?

Only when it is to be booted from ROM.

> Let me see if I understood it correctly (please correct me): It depends on
> the variable CYG_HAL_STARTUP_ROM, which in turn is defined only if
> CYGSEM_HAL_ROM_MONITOR is defined.

No, the other way around - CYGSEM_HAL_ROM_MONITOR is only defined when
CYG_HAL_STARTUP_ROM is defined.

> So when the application is compiled to
> be loaded to RAM this code doesn't need to be executed since it has
> already been executed by the monitor (but then the memory is not
> remmaped!!??).

> Even if it is compiled to be loaded to ROM, but not as a
> monitor (RedBoot for instance), the code is also not included since the
> monitor has to be executed before, which in turn transfer the execution to
> the application.

You can't have built the application for ROM startup, and expected a
monitor to already have run!

If you are saying that there is a platform out there that does not run
PLATFORM_SETUP1 for ROM applications, then let us know what it is.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] When PLATFORM_SETUP1 code is executed?
@ 2001-08-05 18:13   ` Cristiano Ligieri Pereira
From: Cristiano Ligieri Pereira @ 2001-08-05 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> > So when the application is compiled to
> > be loaded to RAM this code doesn't need to be executed since it has
> > already been executed by the monitor (but then the memory is not
> > remmaped!!??).
>
> > Even if it is compiled to be loaded to ROM, but not as a
> > monitor (RedBoot for instance), the code is also not included since the
> > monitor has to be executed before, which in turn transfer the execution to
> > the application.
>
> You can't have built the application for ROM startup, and expected a
> monitor to already have run!
>
> If you are saying that there is a platform out there that does not run
> PLATFORM_SETUP1 for ROM applications, then let us know what it is.

I might want to have an application on ROM and just jump to it from the
Monitor (using 'go 0xXXXXXXXX'). I don't know if it makes sense, anyway...
But that's fine. I understood what I needed to. Little by little I'm
constructing and understanding the big picture on how things are
initialized, remapped, etc...

Thanks again!
Cristiano.