* [ECOS] building tests
@ 2000-04-12 14:41 Paul Kinzelman
From: Paul Kinzelman @ 2000-04-12 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'ecos-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com'

I'm building on a Linux RH6.1 PC
arm-elf-gdb --version gives 20000314
gcc is 2.95.2

I downloaded/flashed the gdb stub (not cygmon).

I was able to make all the tests (for the Cirrus EDB7211 board) without
errors, but when I try to download one and run any test:
    arm-elf-gdb -nw <objname>
    target...
    load (shows it downloaded 4 sections OK, with start adr and size)
    run
I get:
    The program being debugged has been started already
    Start it from the beginning? (y or n)
And if I say yes,  it says:
    Starting program: <objname>
    You can't do that without a process to debug

This happens also when I try to run 'thread_gdb' (one of the built tests).

But when I load/run the prebuilt 'thread_gdb.exe', it seems to run fine
(I get the OK printout) under gdb (not insight).

The 2 thread_gdb files are a different size, but a 'files xxxx' says the
same for both (ELF 32-bit LSB, ARM, verision 1, statically linked,
not stripped)

How do I get the built tests to run?

Second, I can't seem to run the prebuilt 'thread_gdb.exe' under insight:
     arm-elf-gdb thread_gdb.exe (without the '-nw')
I select the target, click on 'run' and it downloads properly (as far
as I can tell), and then just hangs with the little clock and a
'stop' sign instead of run forever.

If I start over, download, then look at registers, I see reasonable-looking
numbers in the various registers so insight would appear to be hooking
up to the gdb stub properly. But it doesn't seem to start/run.

TIA!

-PaulK

* RE: [ECOS] building tests
@ 2000-04-13  8:46 Paul Kinzelman
From: Paul Kinzelman @ 2000-04-13  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'ecos-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Thanks very much Gary and Jonathan!
Using 'continue' works with -nw!
However, the View->Console sees only gdb output, not the
program output. How do I view the program output (which
I do get with the -nw version)?

I can run, for instance, 'stress_threads', under -nw, and
I see a bunch of output from the program. But if I run it
under the gui, I see only download messages and breakpoint
messages.

TIA! - PaulK

> Second, I can't seem to run the prebuilt 'thread_gdb.exe' under insight:
>      arm-elf-gdb thread_gdb.exe (without the '-nw')
> I select the target, click on 'run' and it downloads properly (as far
> as I can tell), and then just hangs with the little clock and a
> 'stop' sign instead of run forever.
>
> If I start over, download, then look at registers, I see
reasonable-looking
> numbers in the various registers so insight would appear to be hooking
> up to the gdb stub properly. But it doesn't seem to start/run.

You have to choose View->Console to view the program output.

Robert, we should probably add this to the docs at some point.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] building tests
@ 2000-04-13 10:15 Travis Furrer
From: Travis Furrer @ 2000-04-13 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Actually, I have always had this problem also (I have been
using the insight snapshots for several months now).  So I
just use the -nw option when I need to see the program's
output.

Even if you pull up the console right away and do exactly
the same thing you would from the -nw version, the program
output does not appear there.  I am using the arm-elf
version, if that makes a difference.

> Paul Kinzelman wrote:
> >
> > Thanks very much Gary and Jonathan!
> > Using 'continue' works with -nw!
> > However, the View->Console sees only gdb output, not the
> > program output. How do I view the program output (which
> > I do get with the -nw version)?
> >
> > I can run, for instance, 'stress_threads', under -nw, and
> > I see a bunch of output from the program. But if I run it
> > under the gui, I see only download messages and breakpoint
> > messages.
>
> Are you sure you had the console window up *before* you started
> running the program?
>
> Jifl
> --
> Red Hat, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK. CB2 1NS  Tel: +44 (1223)
728762
> "Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow."  ||  These opinions are all my own
fault

FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com

* RE: [ECOS] building tests
@ 2000-04-13 10:28 Paul Kinzelman
From: Paul Kinzelman @ 2000-04-13 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'ecos-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Yes, I did View->Console after starting Insight. I did:
arm-elf-gdb dhrystone&
View->Console
File->target (setup)
Run->Run (downloads, stops at breakpoint)
Breakpoint message shows in console window with prompt.
Then I tried 3 different things after this

1) If I type 'c' to the console, it says
'Continuing' and never comes back. But if I wait
for how long the test takes, and then reset
and wakeup the board, all of a sudden I do get the
printout.

2) If I on the 'continue' button on the gui, the clock
shows up, and hangs forever. When I reset and wake up
the board, I get a box: "Program received signal SIGTRAP"
and no printout.

3) Just for yucks, I tried clicking 'Run->Run' again,
and it downloads again, then hangs forever (no
initial breakpoint). When I try reset and
wakeup, I again get the SIGTRAP.

> However, the View->Console sees only gdb output, not the
> program output. How do I view the program output (which
> I do get with the -nw version)?
>
> I can run, for instance, 'stress_threads', under -nw, and
> I see a bunch of output from the program. But if I run it
> under the gui, I see only download messages and breakpoint
> messages.

Are you sure you had the console window up *before* you started running the
program?

Jifl

* [ECOS] Building tests
@ 2003-08-25  6:46 Michele Portolan
From: Michele Portolan @ 2003-08-25  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I am trying to build eCso tests for Leon, but (after a good deal of
compiltation) I get the following error message:

/opt/rtems/sparc-rtems/bin/ld: unrecognized option `--fatal-warnings'
sparc-rtems-gcc -msoft-float -g -nostdlib -Wl,-static -Wl,--fatal-warnings -
L/ecos-d/cygnus/leonecos/default_install/lib -Ttarget.ld -o
/ecos-d/cygnus/leonecos/default_install/tests/infra/v2_0/tests/cxxsupp
tests/cxxsupp.o
/opt/rtems/sparc-rtems/bin/ld: use the --help option for usage information

What is it? In configtool, Build->options there is no trece of the
'--fatal-warnings'. Where does it comes from? Normal compilation works
correctly and I get the "examples" running well, it is just tests that raise
that error.

Michele Portolan