* [ECOS] dinamic memorry allocation
@ 2000-06-24  3:22 Marco Monguzzi
From: Marco Monguzzi @ 2000-06-24  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello all.

Dealing with dynamic memory allocation, I noticed that the space to support
the LIBC
calls like malloc, calloc etc, is allocated in the .data segment. This means
the space
required to store the system/apps in EPROM is proportional to
CYGPKG_NET_MEM_USAGE.
Is it correct or there is a way to avoid that?

Best regards,
Marco

* RE: [ECOS] dinamic memorry allocation
@ 2000-06-24  5:38 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2000-06-24  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Monguzzi; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On 24-Jun-00 Marco Monguzzi wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> Dealing with dynamic memory allocation, I noticed that the space to support
> the LIBC
> calls like malloc, calloc etc, is allocated in the .data segment. This means
> the space
> required to store the system/apps in EPROM is proportional to
> CYGPKG_NET_MEM_USAGE.
> Is it correct or there is a way to avoid that?

The memory used for malloc() and friends is in BSS, not DATA.  This is not
held in ROM, but only exists in RAM when the application is running.

* RE: [ECOS] dinamic memory allocation
@ 2000-06-25 11:57   ` Marco Monguzzi
From: Marco Monguzzi @ 2000-06-25 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

> On 24-Jun-00 Marco Monguzzi wrote:
> > Hello all.
> >
> > Dealing with dynamic memory allocation, I noticed that the
> space to support
> > the LIBC
> > calls like malloc, calloc etc, is allocated in the .data
> segment. This means
> > the space
> > required to store the system/apps in EPROM is proportional to
> > CYGPKG_NET_MEM_USAGE.
> > Is it correct or there is a way to avoid that?
> >

> The memory used for malloc() and friends is in BSS, not DATA.  This is not
> held in ROM, but only exists in RAM when the application is running.

Gary, thanks for commenting.
In my previous post, I wrote the wrong name for the macro. I am aware of the
BSS use for the net package dynamic allocation.
I meant CYGNUM_LIBC_MALLOC_MEMPOOL_SIZE. Is it the same?
In this case, I guess I have something wrong somewhere in my
configuration....

TIA,
Marco

* Re: [ECOS] dinamic memory allocation
@ 2000-06-25 12:01     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-06-25 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Monguzzi; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Marco Monguzzi wrote:
> In my previous post, I wrote the wrong name for the macro. I am aware of the
> BSS use for the net package dynamic allocation.
> I meant CYGNUM_LIBC_MALLOC_MEMPOOL_SIZE. Is it the same?

Yep.

Jifl