* [ECOS] telnet-server under ECOS
@ 2001-04-23  3:15 Marek Łącki
From: Marek Łącki @ 2001-04-23  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi
I need telnet-server sources under eCos. Who can help me ?
marek lacki@rts.com.pl

* RE: [ECOS] telnet-server under ECOS
@ 2001-04-23  5:26 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-04-23  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marek; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On 23-Apr-2001 Marek £±cki wrote:
> Hi
> I need telnet-server sources under eCos. Who can help me ?
> marek lacki@rts.com.pl

We have no "telnet server", per se, as this makes little sense for the
eCos world.

Exactly what were you wanting to do with it?

* Re: [ECOS] telnet-server under ECOS
@ 2001-04-23  9:55   ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2001-04-23  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Marek Lacki, ecos-discuss

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 06:26:45AM -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:

> > I need telnet-server sources under eCos. Who can help me ?
> > marek lacki@rts.com.pl
>
> We have no "telnet server", per se, as this makes little sense for the
> eCos world.
>
> Exactly what were you wanting to do with it?

Many embedded devices have character mode command interfaces
for status/control through "console" serial ports. The same
interfaces work quite well via telnet.  E.g. you telnet into a
router or printer or whatever to configure it instead of going
the web-page route.  I can manage a usable telnet session on my
PalmPilot.  Trying to do web stuff is generally pretty futile.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com

* Re: [ECOS] telnet-server under ECOS
@ 2001-04-23 10:05     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-04-23 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: ecos-discuss, Marek Lacki

On 23-Apr-2001 Grant Edwards wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 06:26:45AM -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:
>
>> > I need telnet-server sources under eCos. Who can help me ?
>> > marek lacki@rts.com.pl
>>
>> We have no "telnet server", per se, as this makes little sense for the
>> eCos world.
>>
>> Exactly what were you wanting to do with it?
>
> Many embedded devices have character mode command interfaces
> for status/control through "console" serial ports. The same
> interfaces work quite well via telnet.  E.g. you telnet into a
> router or printer or whatever to configure it instead of going
> the web-page route.  I can manage a usable telnet session on my
> PalmPilot.  Trying to do web stuff is generally pretty futile.

Agreed.  For this level of usage, the telnet code in RedBoot is
possibly sufficient or certainly a starting point.

If the desired usage is more complex, e.g. a stand-alone server
which "runs tasks", etc [which I expect is what the original query
was for], we don't really have such a thing for eCos, simply because
it doesn't make sense in the environment we target.

[Actually, RedBoot could be considered such a beast, but that is
another matter :-)]