* RE: [ECOS] Mmu and Memory Layout
@ 2001-06-17 18:12 honda
From: honda @ 2001-06-17 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Nicola Bergamin [BW], ecos-discuss

Hello,

     What's the main difference in  the MMU configuration and Memory Layout
between the 1.3.1 and the current version. Version 1.3.1 did work on
EDB7212, it hang on the MMU_INITIALIZE. But when I modified it for my own
system, it didn't work. By upgrade to the current version, it works. Why?

Kuang-Yang Chuang

OES / ITRI
J220, Bldg. 78, 195-8, Sec. 4, Chung-Hsing Rd.
Chutung, Hsinchu 310, Taiwan, ROC

TEL: 886-3-5917546
FAX: 886-3-5917531

Since you're starting fresh - please don't use 1.3.1 - it's way too
old and we won't be able to help you much.  Start from the current
anonymous CVS.

Other than that, you have the basic grasp of what needs to be done.

@ 2001-06-17 18:32 ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-06-17 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: honda; +Cc: ecos-discuss

>     What's the main difference in  the MMU configuration and Memory Layout
>between the 1.3.1 and the current version. Version 1.3.1 did work on
>EDB7212, it hang on the MMU_INITIALIZE. But when I modified it for my own
>system, it didn't work. By upgrade to the current version, it works. Why?

There was a discussion here recently (ish) about a bug in the MMU tables
which only mapped in the first 8K of on-chip SRAM. That was fixed.

-- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
Embedded Engineer, Digi-Frame Inc.
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Tel (914) 937-4090 9am-6:30pm M-F ET
Personal: http://www.larwe.com/ http://www.zws.com/

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even
though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who
neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight
that knows not victory nor defeat."
(Theodore Roosevelt)

* RE: [ECOS] Mmu and Memory Layout
@ 2001-06-18  6:34   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-06-18  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards; +Cc: ecos-discuss, honda

On 18-Jun-2001 Lewin A.R.W. Edwards wrote:

>>     What's the main difference in  the MMU configuration and Memory Layout
>>between the 1.3.1 and the current version. Version 1.3.1 did work on
>>EDB7212, it hang on the MMU_INITIALIZE. But when I modified it for my own
>>system, it didn't work. By upgrade to the current version, it works. Why?
>
> There was a discussion here recently (ish) about a bug in the MMU tables
> which only mapped in the first 8K of on-chip SRAM. That was fixed.

Other than this, I'm pretty sure that there were no other changes.

* RE: [ECOS] Mmu and Memory Layout
@ 2001-06-12 11:37 Dan Conti
From: Dan Conti @ 2001-06-12 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

You shouldn't have to modify the mlt files for that. If you take a look,
under the Cirrus board you can choose between RAM and ROM startup. ROM
startup implies no gdb, and will generate images linked to 0xe0000000.
All you need to do is compile your test program against a ROM kernel,
objcopy it to bin, then burn it onto the board.

I recommend saving your ROM kernel into a new directory.

-Dan

@ 2001-06-12 11:04 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-06-12 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicola; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Since you're starting fresh - please don't use 1.3.1 - it's way too
old and we won't be able to help you much.  Start from the current
anonymous CVS.

Other than that, you have the basic grasp of what needs to be done.

On 12-Jun-2001 Nicola Bergamin [BW] wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to create a new memory layout and mmu mapping  for
> my special board, similar but not same as Cirrus EDB7212 -using
> eCos v1_3_1.
>
> I want to build and program into flash a standalone application, the
> hello world, for example, possibly without using Gdb stuff.
>
> I want just to put the program into flash, and the application must
> be running after power cycle.
>
>From the eCos User's Guide (page 89), i see that to change
> memory layout it is necessary to modify the mlt_* files in
>
> /ecos/packages/hal/arm/edb7xxx/v1_3_1/include/pkgconf/, and ,
> for a rom application, I intend to modify the following files:
>
> mlt_arm_edb7212_rom.h
> mlt_arm_edb7212_rom.ldi
> mlt_arm_edb7212_rom.mlt
>
> For the mmu, I've seen that this file:
>
> hal_platform_setup.h (/ecos/packages/hal/edb7xxx/v1_3_1/include)
> does the mmu initialization.
>
> Is there any other important file to take care of?
>
> Thankyou
> - Nicola

>  Nicola Bergamin
>  BlueWind Embedded Systems Design