* [ECOS] Problems flashing MBX board with Redboot
@ 2001-07-12  2:43 Smith, Timothy
From: Smith, Timothy @ 2001-07-12  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'ecos-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Having grabbed the images from http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/boards/redbootbins/mbx860/ for the MBX860 board (40Mhz, revision 31D I think) and then following the procedure outlined in the docs using the file redboot_ROM_40.srec

[   lo 0
pflash 40000 60000 fc000000
etc.   ]

to install the image in flash and then swapping J4 leads to the board doing *nothing*.

Using niop to transfer redboot_ROM_40.bin and then installing that in flash also leads to a non booting board. I've verified that the images are transferred okay and that the correct data has been written to flash. Originally the board had a vxWorks boot image and that worked fine.

What am I doing wrong?

I've also compiled the redboot image from source and tried all the other possible images from redhat also compiling them myself and none of those work. Another board was also used. I must have missed something.

Suggestions appreciated

tia

* RE: [ECOS] Problems flashing MBX board with Redboot
@ 2001-07-12  5:13 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-07-12  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Smith, Timothy; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On 12-Jul-2001 Smith, Timothy wrote:
> Having grabbed the images from http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/boards/redbootbins/mbx860/ for the
> MBX860 board (40Mhz, revision 31D I think) and then following the procedure outlined in the docs
> using the file redboot_ROM_40.srec
>
> [   lo 0
> pflash 40000 60000 fc000000
> etc.   ]
>
> to install the image in flash and then swapping J4 leads to the board doing *nothing*.
>
> Using niop to transfer redboot_ROM_40.bin and then installing that in flash also leads to a non
> booting board. I've verified that the images are transferred okay and that the correct data has
> been written to flash. Originally the board had a vxWorks boot image and that worked fine.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> I've also compiled the redboot image from source and tried all the other possible images from
> redhat also compiling them myself and none of those work. Another board was also used. I must
> have missed something.

Are you sure that you have a 40MHz board?  There's no way to tell programmatically
and RedBoot/eCos need to set up a number of things appropriately.  The 40MHz version
most likely will not run on a 50MHz board, nor vice-versa.