* [ECOS] newbie : configure fails with error "Unable to figure out how to do   64 bit arithmetic"
@ 2009-07-13 10:12 Mandeep Sandhu
From: Mandeep Sandhu @ 2009-07-13 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi All,

I'm a first-timer with ecos.

I've downloaded ecos (along with the pre-built GNU toolchains -
arm-eabi) using the "ecos-install.tcl" script.

As per instructions I made a new "build" dir and tried to run
"configure" from inside it.

It fails with the following error:

checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
checking "for a 64 bit data type"...
configure: error: Unable to figure out how to do 64 bit arithmetic
configure: error: ../../../../tools/src/infra/configure failed for infra
configure: error: ../../../tools/src/configure failed for tools/src

How do I get over this error?

I have compiled Linux kernel, but have no experience with ecos.

Why do I have to run configure/make/make install? I see that the
"ecosconfig" utility is already present. Can't I just use the ARM toolchain
and the ecosconfig tool to build the kernel with the required config?

My main aim is to see the size of the kernel image for my target platform.

Regards,
-mandeep

* [ECOS] Re: newbie : configure fails with error "Unable to figure out how  to do   64 bit arithmetic"
@ 2009-07-13 10:21 ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2009-07-13 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mandeep Sandhu; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Mandeep

Mandeep Sandhu wrote:

> I'm a first-timer with ecos.
>
> I've downloaded ecos (along with the pre-built GNU toolchains -
> arm-eabi) using the "ecos-install.tcl" script.
>
> As per instructions I made a new "build" dir and tried to run
> "configure" from inside it.

You need to use either the GUI eCos Configuration Tool or the
command-line "ecosconfig" tool to configure the eCos run-time code. Ref:

http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/user-guide/configuring-and-building-ecos-from-source.html

John Dallaway

* [ECOS] Re: newbie : configure fails with error "Unable to figure out how to   do 64 bit arithmetic"
@ 2009-07-13 10:41   ` Mandeep Sandhu
From: Mandeep Sandhu @ 2009-07-13 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Dallaway; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Well, after the installation was complete, the "ecosconfig" util was kept
under <install path>/ecos-3.0/tools/bin

I'm trying to use the command line for configuring a target:

~/ecos/ecos-3.0/ecos-work$ ../tools/bin/ecosconfig new atmel
ecos.db: error
    couldn't read file
"/home/mandeep/ecos/ecos-3.0/tools/bin/ecos.db": no such file or
directory
Invalid package database.

How do I create the ecos.db file?

Do I need to do make install....isn't the ecosconfig util supposed be
under /usr/local/bin (default) ?

-mandeep

@ 2009-07-13 10:52     ` Mandeep Sandhu
From: Mandeep Sandhu @ 2009-07-13 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Dallaway; +Cc: ecos-discuss

The GUI (configtool" is letting me proceed ahead!...I'm going to try
that now...thanks!

-mandeep