* [ECOS] loading file on redboot
@ 2005-03-14  4:49 Rohan Soman
From: Rohan Soman @ 2005-03-14  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello,

i tried loading executable images from the host m/c to
the target from redboot prompt.

1)
i issued following command:

	load -v -h 10.0.0.1 -m tftp /test

The error msg shors:

	Cant find file '/test'

What cud be the reason?

2)
trying to load file from serial line, using minicom
on host, and y modem protocol,

leads to 'time out'.

i just cant proceed unless one of these works....

* Re: [ECOS] loading file on redboot
@ 2005-03-14  9:07 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2005-03-14  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rohan Soman; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 21:09 +0530, Rohan Soman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i tried loading executable images from the host m/c to
> the target from redboot prompt.
>
> 1)
> i issued following command:
>
> 	load -v -h 10.0.0.1 -m tftp /test
>
> The error msg shors:
>
> 	Cant find file '/test'
>
> What cud be the reason?

What's the path to "/test" on your TFTP host?  Normally, TFTP
file names are relative to the "/tftpboot" directory, so if
your file is in "/tftpboot/test", then you would tell RedBoot
to download just "test"

Of course, this all depends on how your TFTP server is setup.

> 2)
> trying to load file from serial line, using minicom
> on host, and y modem protocol,
>
> leads to 'time out'.

You do realize that once you tell RedBoot to load using X-modem
you need to then "break into" minicom and tell it to send the
file?  Normally, this would be the keyboard sequence ^A-S,
followed by selecting the actual file to send, etc.

> i just cant proceed unless one of these works....

You could also download your code via GDB...

* Re: [ECOS] loading file on redboot
@ 2005-03-14  9:08   ` Rohan Soman
From: Rohan Soman @ 2005-03-14  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss; +Cc: Gary Thomas

Hi,

i tried loading from RedBoot using TFTP.
Load was successful, but not go:

RAM: 0x00100000-0x040f0000, [0x00192670-0x01000000] available
RedBoot> load -v -h 10.0.0.1 -b 0x00192670 hello
Using default protocol (TFTP)
Address offset= 0x0018f670
Entry point: 0x00192670, address range: 0x00192670-0x0019fef0
RedBoot> go
$T0b08:83261900;04:00300000;#bc

Why did go fail ?

>You could also download your code via GDB...

How ?

-rohan

@ 2005-03-15  0:23     ` Gary Thomas
       [not found]       ` <bd4aff3905031406533df6edf3@mail.gmail.com>
From: Gary Thomas @ 2005-03-15  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rohan Soman; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 10:17 +0530, Rohan Soman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i tried loading from RedBoot using TFTP.
> Load was successful, but not go:
>

> RAM: 0x00100000-0x040f0000, [0x00192670-0x01000000] available
> RedBoot> load -v -h 10.0.0.1 -b 0x00192670 hello
> Using default protocol (TFTP)
> Address offset= 0x0018f670
> Entry point: 0x00192670, address range: 0x00192670-0x0019fef0
> RedBoot> go
> $T0b08:83261900;04:00300000;#bc
>
> Why did go fail ?

Why did you load it to 0x192670?  eCos code is linked to run at
a fixed address (and I really doubt that this is it!)

Try the command without the -b option and see if it helps.

Also, you didn't provide the answers to my previous questions.
Obviously, those answers helped you figure out your problem and
sending them to the list might help the next person with similar
issues, so they would be appreciated.

@ 2005-03-15  3:44         ` Rohan Soman
From: Rohan Soman @ 2005-03-15  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss

hello

>Why did you load it to 0x192670?  eCos code is linked to run at
>a fixed address (and I really doubt that this is it!)

>Try the command without the -b option and see if it helps.

When trying to load the image without the -b option i get following error msg:

RAM: 0x00100000-0x040f0000, [0x00192670-0x01000000] available
RedBoot> load -v -h 10.0.0.1 -m tftp hello
*** Abort! Attempt to load ELF data to address: 0x00108000 which is not in RAM
RedBoot> load -v -h 10.0.0.1 -m tftp hello.srec
*** Abort! Attempt to load S-record to address: 0x00003000, which is not in RAM
RedBoot>

i got the probelm fixed now.

:)

previously i was starting redboot using GRUB (just because i wasn't
having more floppies to 'dd' redboot.bin) this is done using import
./packages/hal/i386/pc/current/misc/redboot_GRUB.ecm in current repository.
as i don't have much knowledege about internals of Redboot,GRUB i
thought that this would work but wasn't.

now when i use 'dd' and started redboot directly from floppy it's working fine.

i think this is what u was expecting to me speak about. but yesterday
my probelm wasn't fixed to write anything as a conclusion. now when i
have some conclusion in hand i think it's my duty to write u about. i
tried at my level to tell the conclusion i don't know about it's
correctness.

THANX LOT

------------

i want mention one more problem (), and waiting for ur ans.

i have created redboot.bin for i386 pc target with rtl ethernet from
the current repository.
this image is tarnsferred to floppy. this is working fine on my
machine as i said above.
but when tried to boot from the same floppy on my partner's machine it
starts up normally but not accepting the keyboard input. also doesn't
able to give ping response.

we both are using i386 pc machine with rtl ethernet cards though
machines are not exactly of same configuration.

though my work can be proceeded by using my machine as target and
partner's machine as host. i am eger to know what will i have to do
make me possible to use my partner's machine as target and my machine
as host. could someone help me.

- Rohan