* [ECOS] JFFS2 alternative
@ 2009-06-30  6:47 Øyvind Harboe
From: Øyvind Harboe @ 2009-06-30  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Disuss

JFFS2 is fine for smaller file systems, but it breaks down completely
on large file systems.

Does anyone know of viable eCos alternatives to JFFS2?

LogFS is GPL v2 without exception, so that would make the application
linked with eCos GPL. Ditto for UBIFS.

I guess it's no good to create a loadable eCos module either. Even
if that would allow our application to work with any filing system. It would
be a poorly veiled attempt at circumventing GPL, wouldn't it?

GPL is problematic because the work in question is under NDA.

--
Øyvind Harboe
Embedded software and hardware consulting services

* Re: [ECOS] JFFS2 alternative
@ 2009-06-30  7:37 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2009-06-30  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ?yvind Harboe; +Cc: eCos Disuss

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 08:47:25AM +0200, ?yvind Harboe wrote:
> JFFS2 is fine for smaller file systems, but it breaks down completely
> on large file systems.
>
> Does anyone know of viable eCos alternatives to JFFS2?
>
> LogFS is GPL v2 without exception, so that would make the application
> linked with eCos GPL. Ditto for UBIFS.
>
> I guess it's no good to create a loadable eCos module either. Even
> if that would allow our application to work with any filing system. It would
> be a poorly veiled attempt at circumventing GPL, wouldn't it?
>
> GPL is problematic because the work in question is under NDA.

If you are prepared to pay some money you can get YAFFS with a
commercial license.

A somewhat unknown is uffs, http://sourceforge.net/projects/uffs/
however its not yet been ported, and is designed for NAND systems, not
NOR. However it uses the eCos mod to GPL.

     Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] JFFS2 alternative
@ 2009-06-30  8:47 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2009-06-30  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Øyvind Harboe; +Cc: eCos Disuss

Øyvind Harboe wrote:
> JFFS2 is fine for smaller file systems, but it breaks down completely
> on large file systems.

What do you mean "it breaks down completely"?

@ 2009-06-30  8:52   ` Øyvind Harboe
From: Øyvind Harboe @ 2009-06-30  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Disuss

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Gary Thomas<gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
> Øyvind Harboe wrote:
>> JFFS2 is fine for smaller file systems, but it breaks down completely
>> on large file systems.
>>

> What do you mean "it breaks down completely"?

JFFS2 needs to scan through *all* write nodes upon mount.

Imagine what happens when you have a giga/terrabyte flash
where you write millions/billions of tiny log entries..... it would
take *forever* to boot.

Also memory consumption is proportional to the # of write
operations so that's another trainwrecker.