* [ECOS] Redboot v2.04, IXP4XX and Flash v2
@ 2008-02-04 12:51 Antonello Lombardinilo
From: Antonello Lombardinilo @ 2008-02-04 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi all,

I developed board based on Intel IXP435 Multi-Service
Residential Gateway Reference Platform (KIXRP435).

Main difference is that my board have a 2 flash chip:
a 512 Kbytes boot flash and 16 Mbytes NAND flash.

I succesfully ported Redboot v.2.04 with boot flash and
npe support on my board.
Now I would also manage NAND flash with FIS.
I readed about eCos/Redboot Flash V2 API, but I'am
confused because the Redboot src that I use are from
RedHat ftp source and not from ecos repository.

Can someone suggest me how go ahead ?

 Antonello

* Re: [ECOS] Redboot v2.04, IXP4XX and Flash v2
@ 2008-02-04 13:02 ` Tom Deconinck
From: Tom Deconinck @ 2008-02-04 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antonello Lombardinilo, eCos Disuss

Hi,

The eCos Flash v2 code is in a separate repository. It's probably best
to start from the latest of the trunk from ecos.sourceware.org

You just have to replace the following directories with the ones from
the flash v2 branch:
io/flash
dev/flash
redboot
fs/jffs2
Using the flash v2 branch will make it possible to use 2 flashes.

Tom

On Feb 4, 2008 1:51 PM, Antonello Lombardinilo <antonello@kasko.it> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I developed board based on Intel IXP435 Multi-Service
> Residential Gateway Reference Platform (KIXRP435).
>
> Main difference is that my board have a 2 flash chip:
> a 512 Kbytes boot flash and 16 Mbytes NAND flash.
>
> I succesfully ported Redboot v.2.04 with boot flash and
> npe support on my board.
> Now I would also manage NAND flash with FIS.
> I readed about eCos/Redboot Flash V2 API, but I'am
> confused because the Redboot src that I use are from
> RedHat ftp source and not from ecos repository.
>
> Can someone suggest me how go ahead ?
>
>  Antonello
>
> --

* [ECOS] Re: Redboot v2.04, IXP4XX and Flash v2
@ 2008-02-05 11:07   ` Antonello Lombardinilo
From: Antonello Lombardinilo @ 2008-02-05 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Deconinck; +Cc: eCos Disuss

Hi Tom,

i replace io/flash, dev/flash and redboot directories
with latest flash v2 snapshot from ecoscentric ftp server.
I made some change to compile:
 - add devs/flash/arm/kixrp435 directory;
 - replace redboot/current/include/redboot.h with original file

The compilation seems to work fine.
I try to enable FLASH_V2 support. I replace CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_STRATA
with CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_STRATA_V2 in ecos.db and
hal/arm/xscale/kixrp435/current/misc/redboot_RAM.ecm

When I try to import configuration I get a following error:
[root@AntoPC001 kixrp435_npe_RAM]# ecosconfig new kixrp435_npe redboot
U CYGHWR_HAL_ARM_XSCALE_CPU, new inferred value IXP43x
U CYGSEM_HAL_USE_ROM_MONITOR, new inferred value 0
U CYGIMP_HAL_COMMON_INTERRUPTS_USE_INTERRUPT_STACK, new inferred value 0
[root@AntoPC001 kixrp435_npe_RAM]# ecosconfig import
/home/antonello/projects/eCos/redboot-intel-ixp4xx-070320/packages/hal/arm/x
scale/kixrp435/current/misc/redboot_RAM.ecm
C CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE, "requires" constraint not satisfied:
CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE >= 1
C CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_KIXRP435, "requires" constraint not satisfied:
CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_STRATA_V2
[root@AntoPC001 kixrp435_npe_RAM]#

I want test flash v2 on kixrp435 board to make sure that the hardware works.
The kixrp435 board have 2 flash chips: strata flash and nand flash.

Antonello

Tom Deconinck writes:

> Hi,
>
> The eCos Flash v2 code is in a separate repository. It's probably best
> to start from the latest of the trunk from ecos.sourceware.org
>
> You just have to replace the following directories with the ones from
> the flash v2 branch:
> io/flash
> dev/flash
> redboot
> fs/jffs2
> Using the flash v2 branch will make it possible to use 2 flashes.
>
> Tom
>
> On Feb 4, 2008 1:51 PM, Antonello Lombardinilo <antonello@kasko.it> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I developed board based on Intel IXP435 Multi-Service
>> Residential Gateway Reference Platform (KIXRP435).
>>
>> Main difference is that my board have a 2 flash chip:
>> a 512 Kbytes boot flash and 16 Mbytes NAND flash.
>>
>> I succesfully ported Redboot v.2.04 with boot flash and
>> npe support on my board.
>> Now I would also manage NAND flash with FIS.
>> I readed about eCos/Redboot Flash V2 API, but I'am
>> confused because the Redboot src that I use are from
>> RedHat ftp source and not from ecos repository.
>>
>> Can someone suggest me how go ahead ?
>>
>>  Antonello
>>
>> --
>> Before posting, please read the FAQ: http://ecos.sourceware.org/fom/ecos

Antonello Lombardinilo
Kasko Networks S.r.L.
sede legale:
  via Asti, zona Industriale S. Bernardo
  10015 - Ivrea (TO)
  tel. +39 (0)125 631923
  fax. +39 (0)125 230544
sede operativa:
  via Patini, 46
  67100 - L'Aquila
  tel. +39 (0)862 65562
  fax. +39 (0)862 65562

* [ECOS] Re: Redboot v2.04, IXP4XX and Flash v2
@ 2008-02-05 13:54     ` Tom Deconinck
From: Tom Deconinck @ 2008-02-05 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antonello Lombardinilo; +Cc: eCos Disuss

Hi,

Sorry,

I forgot to mention that you'll need to add the flash v2 packages to
your ecos.db file so that they are known to the configuration system.

Also, the package that enables your flash support should implement
CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE, this will tell eCos how many flashes are
available on your platform.
I'm not sure which package it should be for your setup since I'm not
familiar with your particular setup, maybe someone else can clarify

Tom

@ 2008-02-05 14:04       ` Antonello Lombardinilo
From: Antonello Lombardinilo @ 2008-02-05 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Deconinck; +Cc: eCos Disuss

Hi,

thanks Tom.

There is in flash_v2 branch some board that use
flash V2 API ?

I see the arm et7, but the two flash chips are mutually exclusive.

Antonello

Tom Deconinck writes:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry,
>
> I forgot to mention that you'll need to add the flash v2 packages to
> your ecos.db file so that they are known to the configuration system.
>
> Also, the package that enables your flash support should implement
> CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE, this will tell eCos how many flashes are
> available on your platform.
> I'm not sure which package it should be for your setup since I'm not
> familiar with your particular setup, maybe someone else can clarify
>
> Tom
>

> On Feb 5, 2008 12:06 PM, Antonello Lombardinilo <antonello@kasko.it> wrote:
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> i replace io/flash, dev/flash and redboot directories
>> with latest flash v2 snapshot from ecoscentric ftp server.
>> I made some change to compile:
>>  - add devs/flash/arm/kixrp435 directory;
>>  - replace redboot/current/include/redboot.h with original file
>>
>> The compilation seems to work fine.
>> I try to enable FLASH_V2 support. I replace CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_STRATA
>> with CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_STRATA_V2 in ecos.db and
>> hal/arm/xscale/kixrp435/current/misc/redboot_RAM.ecm
>>
>> When I try to import configuration I get a following error:
>> [root@AntoPC001 kixrp435_npe_RAM]# ecosconfig new kixrp435_npe redboot
>> U CYGHWR_HAL_ARM_XSCALE_CPU, new inferred value IXP43x
>> U CYGSEM_HAL_USE_ROM_MONITOR, new inferred value 0
>> U CYGIMP_HAL_COMMON_INTERRUPTS_USE_INTERRUPT_STACK, new inferred value 0
>> [root@AntoPC001 kixrp435_npe_RAM]# ecosconfig import
>> /home/antonello/projects/eCos/redboot-intel-ixp4xx-070320/packages/hal/arm/x
>> scale/kixrp435/current/misc/redboot_RAM.ecm
>> C CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE, "requires" constraint not satisfied:
>> CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE >= 1
>> C CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_KIXRP435, "requires" constraint not satisfied:
>> CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_STRATA_V2
>> [root@AntoPC001 kixrp435_npe_RAM]#
>>
>> I want test flash v2 on kixrp435 board to make sure that the hardware works.
>> The kixrp435 board have 2 flash chips: strata flash and nand flash.
>>
>> Antonello
>>

>> Tom Deconinck writes:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > The eCos Flash v2 code is in a separate repository. It's probably best
>> > to start from the latest of the trunk from ecos.sourceware.org
>> >
>> > You just have to replace the following directories with the ones from
>> > the flash v2 branch:
>> > io/flash
>> > dev/flash
>> > redboot
>> > fs/jffs2
>> > Using the flash v2 branch will make it possible to use 2 flashes.
>> >
>> > Tom

* Re: [ECOS] Re: Redboot v2.04, IXP4XX and Flash v2
@ 2008-02-06  5:01         ` Alexey Shusharin
From: Alexey Shusharin @ 2008-02-06  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antonello Lombardinilo; +Cc: eCos Disuss

В Втр, 05/02/2008 в 15:03 +0100, Antonello Lombardinilo пишет:
> Hi,
>
> thanks Tom.
>
> There is in flash_v2 branch some board that use
> flash V2 API ?
>
> I see the arm et7, but the two flash chips are mutually exclusive.

Hi,

Flash V2 board driver should use "CYG_FLASH_DRIVER" macro to define each
flash device. Just find this macro.

grep -R CYG_FLASH_DRIVER ./

But are you sure that you need two flash device support?
What are you going to keep in boot flash (512 KB)?

Best regards
Alexey Shusharin

* [ECOS] Re: Redboot v2.04, IXP4XX and Flash v2
@ 2008-02-06  7:51           ` Antonello Lombardinilo
From: Antonello Lombardinilo @ 2008-02-06  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexey Shusharin; +Cc: eCos Disuss

> Hi,
>
> Flash V2 board driver should use "CYG_FLASH_DRIVER" macro to define each
> flash device. Just find this macro.
>
> grep -R CYG_FLASH_DRIVER ./
>
> But are you sure that you need two flash device support?
> What are you going to keep in boot flash (512 KB)?
>
> Best regards
> Alexey Shusharin

Hi,

I would use the boot flash for RedBoot Image, FIS directory and
Redboot config.

I'm not sure that I need a two flash device support.
Any other solution is well appreciated.

Best Regards,

@ 2008-02-06  8:22             ` Alexey Shusharin
From: Alexey Shusharin @ 2008-02-06  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antonello Lombardinilo; +Cc: eCos Disuss

В Срд, 06/02/2008 в 08:51 +0100, Antonello Lombardinilo пишет:

> > Hi,
> >
> > Flash V2 board driver should use "CYG_FLASH_DRIVER" macro to define each
> > flash device. Just find this macro.
> >
> > grep -R CYG_FLASH_DRIVER ./
> >
> > But are you sure that you need two flash device support?
> > What are you going to keep in boot flash (512 KB)?
> >
> > Best regards
> > Alexey Shusharin
> >
> Hi,
>
> I would use the boot flash for RedBoot Image, FIS directory and
> Redboot config.
>
> I'm not sure that I need a two flash device support.
> Any other solution is well appreciated.

Are you going to use FIS on the second flash device? If yes you can keep
Redboot config there and don't make access to boot flash device. It's
usual way.

Best regards
Alexey Shusharin

* [ECOS] Re: Redboot v2.04, IXP4XX and Flash v2
@ 2008-02-06 10:52               ` Antonello Lombardinilo
From: Antonello Lombardinilo @ 2008-02-06 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexey Shusharin; +Cc: eCos Disuss

Alexey Shusharin writes:

> . ..., 06/02/2008 . 08:51 +0100, Antonello Lombardinilo .....:
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Flash V2 board driver should use "CYG_FLASH_DRIVER" macro to define each
>> > flash device. Just find this macro.
>> >
>> > grep -R CYG_FLASH_DRIVER ./
>> >
>> > But are you sure that you need two flash device support?
>> > What are you going to keep in boot flash (512 KB)?
>> >
>> > Best regards
>> > Alexey Shusharin
>> >
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would use the boot flash for RedBoot Image, FIS directory and
>> Redboot config.
>>
>> I'm not sure that I need a two flash device support.
>> Any other solution is well appreciated.
>>

> Are you going to use FIS on the second flash device? If yes you can keep
> Redboot config there and don't make access to boot flash device. It's
> usual way.
>
> Best regards
> Alexey Shusharin

Hi,

I would to use second flash for zImage, ramdisk and linux jffs2.
So, if I understood correctly, I want to use FIS on second device.

In this scenario, why redboot don't make access to boot flash ?
Where the Redboot image are stored ?
How can update Redboot ?
There is any board that implement this scenario?

Best Regards,
 Antonello Lombardinilo

* Re: [ECOS] Re: Redboot v2.04, IXP4XX and Flash v2
@ 2008-02-06 12:30                 ` Alexey Shusharin
From: Alexey Shusharin @ 2008-02-06 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antonello Lombardinilo; +Cc: eCos Disuss

В Срд, 06/02/2008 в 11:52 +0100, Antonello Lombardinilo пишет:
> Alexey Shusharin writes:
>

> > . ..., 06/02/2008 . 08:51 +0100, Antonello Lombardinilo .....:

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I would use the boot flash for RedBoot Image, FIS directory and
> >> Redboot config.
> >>
> >> I'm not sure that I need a two flash device support.
> >> Any other solution is well appreciated.
> >>

> > Are you going to use FIS on the second flash device? If yes you can keep
> > Redboot config there and don't make access to boot flash device. It's
> > usual way.
> >
> > Best regards
> > Alexey Shusharin
> >

> Hi,
>
> I would to use second flash for zImage, ramdisk and linux jffs2.
> So, if I understood correctly, I want to use FIS on second device.

You can't use FIS and linux jffs2 together on one chip. Moreover, eCos
doesn't have linux-compatible NAND flash driver.

> In this scenario, why redboot don't make access to boot flash ?
> Where the Redboot image are stored ?

Redboot just runs from boot flash (or loads to ram). In this case you
don't need flash driver.

> How can update Redboot ?

You can't.

> There is any board that implement this scenario?

e.g. LPC-E2294
(http://sgs.gomel.by/sg/articles/olpce2294/index.html)

Alexey

* Re: [ECOS] Re: Redboot v2.04, IXP4XX and Flash v2
@ 2008-02-06 12:34                   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2008-02-06 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexey Shusharin; +Cc: Antonello Lombardinilo, eCos Disuss

Alexey Shusharin wrote:
> В Срд, 06/02/2008 в 11:52 +0100, Antonello Lombardinilo пишет:
>> Alexey Shusharin writes:
>>
>>> . ..., 06/02/2008 . 08:51 +0100, Antonello Lombardinilo .....:

>>> Are you going to use FIS on the second flash device? If yes you can keep
>>> Redboot config there and don't make access to boot flash device. It's
>>> usual way.
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Alexey Shusharin
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I would to use second flash for zImage, ramdisk and linux jffs2.
>> So, if I understood correctly, I want to use FIS on second device.
>
> You can't use FIS and linux jffs2 together on one chip. Moreover, eCos
> doesn't have linux-compatible NAND flash driver.

Malarky!  I do this all the time.  The Linux MTD layer understands
the FIS layout and will happily work with it to partition your device.
JFFS2 can then be used on some/all of the partitions, NAND or NOR.

@ 2008-02-06 12:49                     ` Alexey Shusharin
From: Alexey Shusharin @ 2008-02-06 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Antonello Lombardinilo, eCos Disuss

В Срд, 06/02/2008 в 05:33 -0700, Gary Thomas пишет:
> Alexey Shusharin wrote:
> > В Срд, 06/02/2008 в 11:52 +0100, Antonello Lombardinilo пишет:

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I would to use second flash for zImage, ramdisk and linux jffs2.
> >> So, if I understood correctly, I want to use FIS on second device.
> >
> > You can't use FIS and linux jffs2 together on one chip. Moreover, eCos
> > doesn't have linux-compatible NAND flash driver.
>
> Malarky!  I do this all the time.  The Linux MTD layer understands
> the FIS layout and will happily work with it to partition your device.
> JFFS2 can then be used on some/all of the partitions, NAND or NOR.

Sorry! I really didn't know that it's possible with NAND flash.

@ 2008-02-06 13:12                       ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2008-02-06 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexey Shusharin; +Cc: Antonello Lombardinilo, eCos Disuss

Alexey Shusharin wrote:
> В Срд, 06/02/2008 в 05:33 -0700, Gary Thomas пишет:
>> Alexey Shusharin wrote:

>>> You can't use FIS and linux jffs2 together on one chip. Moreover, eCos
>>> doesn't have linux-compatible NAND flash driver.
>> Malarky!  I do this all the time.  The Linux MTD layer understands
>> the FIS layout and will happily work with it to partition your device.
>> JFFS2 can then be used on some/all of the partitions, NAND or NOR.
>
> Sorry! I really didn't know that it's possible with NAND flash.

I did this [6] years ago for the MOAB, so the NAND support may be a
bit stale, but it's more than feasible.  As for NOR FLASH, it's up
to date and used daily :-)