* [ECOS] linux client---synthetic target ecos application
@ 2005-03-08 19:52 B.E.Comp Project
From: B.E.Comp Project @ 2005-03-08 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello,

1)

i need to test a daemon running on the synthetic target, using
standard linux client.

What should be the addresses set to in the configtool:

Basic networking framework:
	initailization options for eth0:
	   	 address setups for eth0:
		 		 ip addr for eth0  ?
				 network mask      ?
				 broadcast addr    ?
				 gateway/router ip ?
				 server ip         ?

2)

secondly when i choose a template "net" for hardware: "i386 PC target
with RTL 8139 ethernet"
with floppy startup i getr following error:

[root@localhost mytest]# i386-elf-gcc -o trial
-I/home/ron/ecos-work/new_net_floppy/mmm_install/include test.c
yytest.c -L/home/ron/ecos-work/new_net_floppy/mmm_install/lib
-Ttarget.ld -nostdlib

/opt/ecos/gnutools/i386-elf/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i386-elf/3.2.1/../../../../i386-elf/bin/ld:
address 0xa4f58 of trial section .bss is not within region ram
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
[root@localhost mytest]#

what could this be?

-Rohan

* Re: [ECOS] linux client---synthetic target ecos application
@ 2005-03-08 20:50 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2005-03-08 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: B.E.Comp Project; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 11:55:36PM +0530, B.E.Comp Project wrote:
> Hello,
>

> 1)
>
> i need to test a daemon running on the synthetic target, using
> standard linux client.
>
> What should be the addresses set to in the configtool:
>
> Basic networking framework:
> 	initailization options for eth0:
> 	   	 address setups for eth0:
> 		 		 ip addr for eth0  ?
> 				 network mask      ?
> 				 broadcast addr    ?
> 				 gateway/router ip ?
> 				 server ip         ?

You probably want to read

http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/ref/synth-running.html

and then talk to your system administator to help you set up the
networking.

> 2)
>
> secondly when i choose a template "net" for hardware: "i386 PC target
> with RTL 8139 ethernet"
> with floppy startup i getr following error:
>

> [root@localhost mytest]# i386-elf-gcc -o trial
> -I/home/ron/ecos-work/new_net_floppy/mmm_install/include test.c
> yytest.c -L/home/ron/ecos-work/new_net_floppy/mmm_install/lib
> -Ttarget.ld -nostdlib
>
> /opt/ecos/gnutools/i386-elf/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i386-elf/3.2.1/../../../../i386-elf/bin/ld:
> address 0xa4f58 of trial section .bss is not within region ram
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> [root@localhost mytest]#
>
> what could this be?

You have run out of RAM. The floppy target can only access the first
640kBytes of memory becasue of the way it starts up. You might want to
change to grub which the current linker file allows images of upto
16Mbytes.

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] linux client---synthetic target ecos application
@ 2005-03-09  8:51   ` B.E.Comp Project
From: B.E.Comp Project @ 2005-03-09  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: B.E.Comp Project, ecos-discuss; +Cc: andrew

Hello,

i tried using grub for running ecos hello.bin

menu.lst contained:

# Example GRUB boot menu configuration file for eCos

default 0
timeout 30

# eCos hello test from fd0
title eCos - hello.bin fd0
root (fd0)
kernel /boot/hello.bin

# eCos hello test from fd0
title eCos - hello fd0
root (fd0)
kernel /boot/hello

1)
when i tried to run hello.bin, i got the message:

Booting 'eCos -hello.bin fd0'

root (fd0)
	Filesystem type is fat, using whole disk
kernel /boot/hello.bin
	[Linux -zImage, setup=0x800, size=0xce80]

This seems fine , but screen remains blank.

Hello eCos World !       is not displayed

		What cud be the reason?

(This was the same hello.bin that i tested earlier after doing dd into
fd0, and it did display
Hello eCos World ! then.)

2)
when i tried hello, i got the message something like:

format not supported

What all types are supporrted ?
In the example menu.lst provided in ecos repository, what is the
format of the files
tm_basic, tcp_echo,... ?

-Rohan