* [ECOS] Preliminary questions on eCOS
@ 2007-03-20 14:17 JS Stoezel
From: JS Stoezel @ 2007-03-20 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello,

I am interested in knowing more about eCOS. Our target CPU is a NEC
V53A. This is an Intel x86 compatible with limited RAM (1Mbytes) and
limited PROM (56k available for the OS). This is a 16-bit processor,
however it runs in 8-bit data bus as a mean to save power.

My first questions are:
- In minimal mode (eCOS kernel only)
	- What is the PROM footprint?
	- What is the RAM footprint? I understand this is dependent on
the number of threads running, message queues, dynamic memory
allocation. Let say we want to run 3 tasks, using 4 message queues each.

Same questions with File System Support.

Our processor was benchmarked at 1MIPS (Sorry I do not have any details
on the benchmark procedure, I do not know if this is Wheatstone,
Dhrystone or other).  How much overhead per context switch can we
expect?

Thanks,
Jean-Sebastien

* [ECOS]  Re: Preliminary questions on eCOS
@ 2007-03-20 14:41 ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2007-03-20 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On 2007-03-20, JS Stoezel <js.stoezel@magellan.aero> wrote:

> I am interested in knowing more about eCOS. Our target CPU is a NEC
> V53A. This is an Intel x86 compatible with limited RAM (1Mbytes) and
> limited PROM (56k available for the OS). This is a 16-bit processor,

You can't run eCos on an 8086.  eCos requires gcc (not
available for 8086).  I think eCos assumes an int is at least
32 bits long, but I might be wrong about that.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Yow! I like my new
                                  at               DENTIST...

* RE: [ECOS]  Re: Preliminary questions on eCOS
@ 2007-03-20 14:43   ` JS Stoezel
From: JS Stoezel @ 2007-03-20 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards, ecos-discuss

Hello,

I see there is no tool chain for this type of processor (this is stated
here: http://ecos.sourceware.org/ecos/getstart.html). However I can
read: "Developers targeting one of the other architectures must build a
toolchain themselves at present. Full instructions for downloading
source code and building a toolchain are available.". Doesn't this mean
I can port eCOS to the tool chain I am using?

Thanks,
Jean-Sebastien

@ 2007-03-20 14:54     ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2007-03-20 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On 2007-03-20, JS Stoezel <js.stoezel@magellan.aero> wrote:

> I see there is no tool chain for this type of processor (this
> is stated here: http://ecos.sourceware.org/ecos/getstart.html).
> However I can read: "Developers targeting one of the other
> architectures must build a toolchain themselves at present.
> Full instructions for downloading source code and building a
> toolchain are available.". Doesn't this mean I can port eCOS
> to the tool chain I am using?

It means that if you want to target an architecture for which
there aren't a pre-built gcc/binutils tool-chains, you have to
download the gcc/binutils sources and build a tool-chain.

eCos uses a number of gcc C and C++ extensions as well as some
rather unique binutils features. In theory you could port eCos
to another tool-chain, but it's going to be tough. People on
the mailing list have talked about attempting to do such a
port, but I don't think anybody has reported success.

I'd probably look at other RTOSes (FreeRTOS, XMK, uC/OS-II)
before I'd start thinking about porting eCos to a 16-bit
processor using a non-gcc tool-chain.  Though if you succeed
you'll be the first to do so with either a 16-bit target or a
non-gcc tool-chain, and you'll indeed be rolling in geek-points.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  People humiliating
                                  at               a salami!

@ 2007-03-20 15:00       ` JS Stoezel
From: JS Stoezel @ 2007-03-20 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards, ecos-discuss

Hello,

Thanks for your answer. We have been looking at FreeRTOS and uc/COSII
and where looking for alternate choices, because eCOS comes with added
features (FreeRTOS and uC provide limited services. I will have to take
a look at XMK.

Jean-Sebastien

@ 2007-03-20 15:07         ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2007-03-20 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On 2007-03-20, JS Stoezel <js.stoezel@magellan.aero> wrote:

> Thanks for your answer. We have been looking at FreeRTOS and
> uc/COSII and where looking for alternate choices, because eCOS
> comes with added features (FreeRTOS and uC provide limited
> services. I will have to take a look at XMK.

I'm not saying you couldn't get eCos to work, but it's going to
be a lot easier bringing up an RTOS that's toolchain-agnostic
and was designed to be run on 16-bit CPUs.

Purely out of curiousity, may I ask what services are
motivating the interest in eCos?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  You mean you don't
                                  at               want to watch WRESTLING

* RE: [ECOS]  Re: Preliminary questions on eCOS
@ 2007-03-20 18:00     ` Paul D. DeRocco
From: Paul D. DeRocco @ 2007-03-20 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Discuss

> From: JS Stoezel
>
> I see there is no tool chain for this type of processor (this
> is stated
> here: http://ecos.sourceware.org/ecos/getstart.html). However I can
> read: "Developers targeting one of the other architectures
> must build a toolchain themselves at present. Full
> instructions for downloading source code and building a
> toolchain are available.". Doesn't this mean I can port eCOS
> to the tool chain I am using?

You could probably get the toolchain working in "tiny" mode, with a 64K
address space, but that's not enough room to spit. The problem is that the
16-bit x86 is a segmented architecture, and that makes for a very
non-standard code generator, not to mention the impact on the OS itself.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco