* [ECOS]  Why does searching www.ecoscentric.com return a bunch of youtube  links?
@ 2008-09-16 20:07 Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2008-09-16 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Has anybody else noticed that when you search
www.ecoscentric.com, you allways get are a bunch of youtube
links unrelated to eCos?

Does that make sense to anybody else?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I'm rated PG-34!!
                                  at

* Re: [ECOS]  Why does searching www.ecoscentric.com return a bunch of  youtube  links?
@ 2008-09-17  6:42 ` Robert Brusa
From: Robert Brusa @ 2008-09-17  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards, ecos-discuss

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 22:06:05 +0200, Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> wrote:

> Has anybody else noticed that when you search
> www.ecoscentric.com, you allways get are a bunch of youtube
> links unrelated to eCos?
>
> Does that make sense to anybody else?

It's indeed strange. I have never seen youtube-links, but here is my
story: I am using Opera 9.52 on debian. Wenn I launch a search on
http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss I get a fraud warning which
reads as follows:

The page you are trying to open has been reported as fraudulent. It will
likely attempt to trick you into sharing personal or financial
information. Opera Software strongly discourages visiting this page.

I ignored the warning and ( of course) nothing happened, not even an
attempt to trick me out, but what's gooing on here?
    Robert

* Re: [ECOS]  Why does searching www.ecoscentric.com return a bunch  of youtube  links?
@ 2008-09-17  9:34 ` Alex Schuilenburg
From: Alex Schuilenburg @ 2008-09-17  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Grant Edwards wrote on 2008-09-16 21:06:
> Has anybody else noticed that when you search
> www.ecoscentric.com, you allways get are a bunch of youtube
> links unrelated to eCos?
>
> Does that make sense to anybody else?

Thanks for letting us know.  Google has changed the way you do site
searches, and nobody here noticed.  That is why you were getting the
youtube links.  Now fixed.

-- Alex

* Re: [ECOS]  Why does searching www.ecoscentric.com return a bunch  of  youtube  links?
@ 2008-09-17 13:18   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-09-17 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Brusa, Grant Edwards, ecos-discuss

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 08:43:41AM +0200, Robert Brusa wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 22:06:05 +0200, Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> wrote:
>>Has anybody else noticed that when you search www.ecoscentric.com, you
>>allways get are a bunch of youtube links unrelated to eCos?
>>
>>Does that make sense to anybody else?
>>
>It's indeed strange.  I have never seen youtube-links, but here is my
>story: I am using Opera 9.52 on debian.  Wenn I launch a search on
>http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss I get a fraud warning which
>reads as follows:
>
>The page you are trying to open has been reported as fraudulent.  It
>will likely attempt to trick you into sharing personal or financial
>information.  Opera Software strongly discourages visiting this page.

I think that Opera has, for some reason, decided that sourceware.org
hosts viruses, maybe because some of some old email in the archives.

cgf

* Re: [ECOS]  Why does searching www.ecoscentric.com return a bunch  of youtube  links?
@ 2008-09-17 14:42   ` Alex Schuilenburg
From: Alex Schuilenburg @ 2008-09-17 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Disuss

Alex Schuilenburg wrote on 2008-09-17 10:33:
> Grant Edwards wrote on 2008-09-16 21:06:
>
>> Has anybody else noticed that when you search
>> www.ecoscentric.com, you allways get are a bunch of youtube
>> links unrelated to eCos?
>>
>> Does that make sense to anybody else?
>>

> Thanks for letting us know.  Google has changed the way you do site
> searches, and nobody here noticed.  That is why you were getting the
> youtube links.  Now fixed.

It appears google, that great wonderous beast, g00fed!

http://www.webmasterworld.com/google/3746105.htm

Pretty much anyone using google's free site search facility on their
website, and in some cases paid-for, has found that youtube is #1.

-- Alex

* [ECOS]  Re: Why does searching www.ecoscentric.com return a bunch  of  youtube  links?
@ 2008-09-17 14:58     ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2008-09-17 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On 2008-09-17, Alex Schuilenburg <alexs@ecoscentric.com> wrote:
> Alex Schuilenburg wrote on 2008-09-17 10:33:

>> Thanks for letting us know.  Google has changed the way you do site
>> searches, and nobody here noticed.  That is why you were getting the
>> youtube links.  Now fixed.
>>
> It appears google, that great wonderous beast, g00fed!
>
> http://www.webmasterworld.com/google/3746105.htm

I guess they are human after all.

> Pretty much anyone using google's free site search facility on their
> website, and in some cases paid-for, has found that youtube is #1.

I wasn't searching for anything that resulting in any, um,
"interesting" clips.  I imagine it could be a bit embarassing
should your users frequently search for terms that have
multiple meanings.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Where does it go when
                                  at               you flush?