From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com>
To: ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com
Subject: [ECOS]  Re: Possible GPL violation
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 15:50:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 2010-01-18, Jonas Gorski <jonas.gorski+ecos@gmail.com> wrote:

> My question now is: could this still be licensed under an other
> license, as the 2.0 sources of redboot state that "alternative
> licenses for eCos may be arranged by contacting RedHat, Inc.", or does
> this have to be GPL, and therefore should I have access to the source
> code?

http://ecos.sourceware.org/license-overview.html

My understanding of the above license is that you are entitled
to the "core" source code for redboot itself (including any
modifications to those core files). But, the vendor doesn't
have to give you source code for things like device drivers or
other add-ons (e.g. filesystem support, new commands, etc.)
that they wrote "from scratch".

[Hopefully, somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.]

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Youth of today!
                                  at               Join me in a mass rally