* [ECOS] SH3 Redboot startup
@ 2003-11-25 11:36 Chris Blood
From: Chris Blood @ 2003-11-25 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,

I'm a newcomer to the eCos community and I'm trying to port eCos to a
bespoke SH3 platform. I am using eCos 2.0 under Cygwin / Win2k with
eCosCentric SH toolset.

I have ported to our system from a standard SH3 evaluation board and
built a Redboot ROM image. (PS IMO Rod Campbell is correct about the
FRCR register settings - according to the SH7709S manual the FRCR value
is sometimes an illegal value). My system will run all the way to the
"Redboot>" and then stop. It will not respond to any serial input at
this point.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Chris Blood

* Re: [ECOS] SH3 Redboot startup
@ 2003-11-26 10:56 ` Nick Garnett
       [not found]   ` <3FC4D5EE.2010302@ad-holdings.co.uk>
From: Nick Garnett @ 2003-11-26 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Blood; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Chris Blood <cblood@ad-holdings.co.uk> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a newcomer to the eCos community and I'm trying to port eCos to a
> bespoke SH3 platform. I am using eCos 2.0 under Cygwin / Win2k with
> eCosCentric SH toolset.
>
> I have ported to our system from a standard SH3 evaluation board and
> built a Redboot ROM image. (PS IMO Rod Campbell is correct about the
> FRCR register settings - according to the SH7709S manual the FRCR
> value is sometimes an illegal value). My system will run all the way
> to the "Redboot>" and then stop. It will not respond to any serial
> input at this point.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Given that you are getting output, I suspect that the problem is in
the serial input code. Double check that it is testing the right bit
for available input. Although if you are using the SCI device this
should be fine.

Since you have working output, try printing out the value of the SCSSR
register in cyg_hal_plf_sci_getc_nonblock() and see whether the RDRF
bit gets set when you type a character. If not then there may be a
hardware problem -- have you tried a different cable for example?
Another possibility is that your terminal emulator is expecting some
sort of flow control which the board is not giving it.

* Re: [ECOS] SH3 Redboot startup
       [not found]   ` <3FC4D5EE.2010302@ad-holdings.co.uk>
@ 2003-11-26 17:46     ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2003-11-26 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Blood; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Chris Blood <cblood@ad-holdings.co.uk> writes:

> Thanks for the response. I have traced the problem to
> packages\redboot\v2_0\src\io.c, function mon_read_char_with_timeout().
> Using option CYGPKG_REDBOOT_ANY_CONSOLE, the function loops checking
> every console for return data but compares the return character with
> NULL. This implies the SH SCIF drivers are returning TRUE even if there
> is no data in the FIFO. I'll investigate further.

Check that you are applying the right serial driver to the right
device, the SCI and SCIF devices are similar but not identical. The
wrong driver might half-work in the sort of way you are seeing.

Another possibility is that the microsecond timer is not working
properly and the call in cyg_hal_plf_sci[f]_getc_timeout() is never
returning.

> <head>
>   <title></title>
> </head>
> content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1">

[Just an aside: I'm not sure wether you have changed in your mailer
setup, but this message came through in HTML only, your previous
message was in plain text. We like to keep the ecos lists plain text
if possible, and I know that some spam filters will reject any
HTML-only mail. You're using Mozilla so it should be easy to make it
do text only.]