* [ECOS] RE: Re:Re: connect eCos to RedBoot
       [not found] <20040810011148.4590.qmail@sina.com>
@ 2004-08-10 17:04 ` Muna Hummady
From: Muna Hummady @ 2004-08-10 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vibra; +Cc: Nick Garnett, ecos-discuss

--- vibra <vibra@263.sina.com> wrote:

> > 1- I'm building the example program image on
> floppy
> > disk and trying to load it from RedBoot and
> running it
> > using
> >
> > load -m  disk basic1.bin
> >
> > or
> >
> > load
> >
> > or
> >
> > load basic1.bin
> >
> > I'm failed to loading it . Could you tell me how?
> You must make sure that the network connection of
> your Redboot has been configure correctly.
> Anyway, you can also choose gdb to upload the bin
> via serial.
>
> > 2-have you debug any example program using gdb by
> > connecting the host target to RedBoot via serial?
> >
> > I could'nt do that.
> >
> > If so, Could tell me how?
> Start the i386-elf-gdb, then
> gdb>set remotebaud 38400 (set serial baudrate)
> gdb>target remote /dev/ttyS0 (use COM1 connect to
> target)
> gdb>load hello  (load elf-format object)
>
> Good luck!

> hello
sorry for re-asking you but there is something
missing.

1- I want to connect eCos to RedBoot via serial.
   When I'm trying to use the GDB as you said in
point(2) the is done but When I'm trying to run it
using (continue), the redboot is halted and then I
could do nothing than restart it.

In addition, I found that I have a problem that I must
enable (CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_DEVICES).
When trying to enable it using
     ecosconfig add CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_DEVICES
told me that it is'nt package

when trying to enable it inside the ecos.ecc. when
running
     ecosconfig tree
it returns disabled.
I don't know how to enable it. Have you has a
suggession? tell me?

 2- I want to try build the program image on floppy
using commands you tell me before. I'm booting RedBoot
from floppy to RAM and then released the RedBoot
floppy and put the floppy that have the program image
(basic.bin) file. Then, I'm trying to load it using

redboot> load -m disk redboot.bin
or
redboot> load
or else
but I coudn't.
Please tell me is my way true and what is the wrong in
it? And What is the solution?

                        Thanks very much
                        Muna

* Re: [ECOS] RE: Re:Re: connect eCos to RedBoot
@ 2004-08-11  8:55   ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2004-08-11  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muna Hummady; +Cc: vibra, ecos-discuss

Muna Hummady <muna_hummady@yahoo.com> writes:

> --- vibra <vibra@263.sina.com> wrote:
>
> > > 1- I'm building the example program image on
> > floppy
> > > disk and trying to load it from RedBoot and
> > running it
> > > using
> > >
> > > load -m  disk basic1.bin
> > >
> > > or
> > >
> > > load
> > >
> > > or
> > >
> > > load basic1.bin
> > >
> > > I'm failed to loading it . Could you tell me how?
> > You must make sure that the network connection of
> > your Redboot has been configure correctly.
> > Anyway, you can also choose gdb to upload the bin
> > via serial.
> >
> > > 2-have you debug any example program using gdb by
> > > connecting the host target to RedBoot via serial?
> > >
> > > I could'nt do that.
> > >
> > > If so, Could tell me how?
> > Start the i386-elf-gdb, then
> > gdb>set remotebaud 38400 (set serial baudrate)
> > gdb>target remote /dev/ttyS0 (use COM1 connect to
> > target)
> > gdb>load hello  (load elf-format object)
> >
> > Good luck!

> > hello
> sorry for re-asking you but there is something
> missing.
>
> 1- I want to connect eCos to RedBoot via serial.
>    When I'm trying to use the GDB as you said in
> point(2) the is done but When I'm trying to run it
> using (continue), the redboot is halted and then I
> could do nothing than restart it.

As has been said before, try running some of the standard tests and
check that they work before running your own programs. Nobody else has
these problems so it is either in your program or in the hardware of
your target. Why don't you try building and running the tm_basic
kernel test program and post the output from the GDB session here.

> In addition, I found that I have a problem that I must
> enable (CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_DEVICES).
> When trying to enable it using
>      ecosconfig add CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_DEVICES
> told me that it is'nt package

I don't know where you got this package name from, the correct name is
CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL.

>  2- I want to try build the program image on floppy
> using commands you tell me before. I'm booting RedBoot
> from floppy to RAM and then released the RedBoot
> floppy and put the floppy that have the program image
> (basic.bin) file. Then, I'm trying to load it using
>
> redboot> load -m disk redboot.bin
> or
> redboot> load
> or else
> but I coudn't.
> Please tell me is my way true and what is the wrong in
> it? And What is the solution?

That will not work, there is currently no support in RedBoot for
serial line or fetched from a TFTP server.

* Re:Re: [ECOS] RE: Re:Re: connect eCos to RedBoot
@ 2004-08-11 12:28     ` Muna Hummady
From: Muna Hummady @ 2004-08-11 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Garnett; +Cc: vibra, ecos-discuss

--- Nick Garnett <nickg@ecoscentric.com> wrote:

> Muna Hummady <muna_hummady@yahoo.com> writes:

> > > floppy
> > > running it

> how?
> > > You must make sure that the network connection
> of
> > > your Redboot has been configure correctly.
> > > Anyway, you can also choose gdb to upload the
> bin
> > > via serial.

> by
> serial?

> > > Start the i386-elf-gdb, then
> > > gdb>set remotebaud 38400 (set serial baudrate)
> > > gdb>target remote /dev/ttyS0 (use COM1 connect
> > > target)
> > > gdb>load hello  (load elf-format object)
> > >
> > > Good luck!

> > > hello
> > sorry for re-asking you but there is something
> > missing.
> >
> > 1- I want to connect eCos to RedBoot via serial.
> >    When I'm trying to use the GDB as you said in
>
> > point(2) the is done but When I'm trying to run it
> > using (continue), the redboot is halted and then I
> > could do nothing than restart it.
>
> As has been said before, try running some of the
> standard tests and
> check that they work before running your own
> programs. Nobody else has
> these problems so it is either in your program or in
> the hardware of
> your target. Why don't you try building and running
> the tm_basic
> kernel test program and post the output from the GDB
> session here.
>

> > In addition, I found that I have a problem that I
> must
> > enable (CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_DEVICES).
> > When trying to enable it using
> >      ecosconfig add CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_DEVICES
> > told me that it is'nt package
>
> I don't know where you got this package name from,
> the correct name is
> CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL.
> >
> >  2- I want to try build the program image on
> floppy
> > using commands you tell me before. I'm booting
> RedBoot
> > from floppy to RAM and then released the RedBoot
> > floppy and put the floppy that have the program
> image
> > (basic.bin) file. Then, I'm trying to load it
> using
> >
> > redboot> load -m disk redboot.bin
> > or
> > redboot> load
> > or else
> > but I coudn't.
> > Please tell me is my way true and what is the
> wrong in
> > it? And What is the solution?
>
> That will not work, there is currently no support in
> RedBoot for
> downloaded via the
> serial line or fetched from a TFTP server.
>
> --
> Nick Garnett                    eCos Kernel
> Architect
> http://www.ecoscentric.com/     The eCos and RedBoot
> experts

hello

 1-The(CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_DEVICES)is defined in ecos.ecc
to enable the device drivers. I found that I must
enable this component in on of the ecos-discuss
mailing list.
the CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL is enabled but that component is
disabled.

2-how can I fetch any test program from a TFTP server

                              thanks

@ 2004-08-11 13:46       ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2004-08-11 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muna Hummady; +Cc: vibra, ecos-discuss

Muna Hummady <muna_hummady@yahoo.com> writes:

>  1-The(CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_DEVICES)is defined in ecos.ecc
> to enable the device drivers. I found that I must
> enable this component in on of the ecos-discuss
> mailing list.
> the CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL is enabled but that component is
> disabled.

It is not a package, you have to enable it yourself, either by editing
ecos.ecc, using the graphical configtool, or by using an import file.

> 2-how can I fetch any test program from a TFTP server

This is explained in the RedBoot documentation.