* [ECOS] how to create a red boot image for hard disk
@ 2003-12-11  4:28 Giri
From: Giri @ 2003-12-11  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

hai,
   can anybody please tell me how can i create the redboot image for hard
disk.
    my target platform is i386.

1. can i use the same redboot_FLOPPY.ecm file for hard disk. if not could
u please send the appropriate one for hard disk.
2. what are the options in the configuration tool i need to modify for
redboot image.

Thanks
Giri

* Re: [ECOS] how to create a red boot image for hard disk
@ 2003-12-11 11:13 ` Nick Garnett
       [not found]   ` <5927.203.200.40.199.1071148969.squirrel@www.jntu.net>
From: Nick Garnett @ 2003-12-11 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: giri; +Cc: ecos-discuss

"Giri" <giri@jntu.net> writes:

> hai,
>    can anybody please tell me how can i create the redboot image for hard
> disk.
>     my target platform is i386.
>
> 1. can i use the same redboot_FLOPPY.ecm file for hard disk. if not could
> u please send the appropriate one for hard disk.
> 2. what are the options in the configuration tool i need to modify for
> redboot image.

Currently there is no support for running RedBoot from an IDE
disk. The floppy booting RedBoot simply occupies the first 120-odd
sectors of the disk. Doing this on a hard disk would destroy any
filesystem on it.

For booting from formatted disks we support GRUB, but only to boot
eCos applications, not RedBoot since using a bootloader to load a
bootloader seemed a pointless exercise.

See the following documentation for details:

http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/user-guide/setup-i386-pc.html

@ 2003-12-11 14:04     ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2003-12-11 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss; +Cc: giri

[Please keep ecos-discuss in the CC list, that way the discussion may
also be of use to others, and it gets archived.]

"Giri" <giri@jntu.net> writes:

> Hai Nick Garnett
>    thanks for your information.
>    basically why i asked this question is my target is not having floppy
> connector(it got currupted). so i am trying to boot my target from
> Hardisk.
>    can i boot my target with compact flash if so could u please tell me
> how can i.

You could try adapting the floppy bootstrap code for the hard disk you
are using, you will need to adjust the sector and track counts and the
device identifier. You will have to find some BIOS documentation to
tell you what to do.

If the CF implements an IDE interface then you can boot from that in
exactly the same way as from a hard disk.