* [ECOS] Run Redboot from flash
@ 2003-12-10 15:12 ricardo_andrino
From: ricardo_andrino @ 2003-12-10 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello,
I have built redboot (RAM start up mode) and i have followed all the instructions for EB40A board.All run correct but after programming the flash memory( fi wr -f 0x01100000 -b %{FREEMEMLO} -l 0x10000), the Prompt Redboot> doesn't allow me to type any command (hangs up)and when i set JP1 to the user position and make a reset, all leds light and redboot doesn't allow me to type any command too. Any idea?

Once Redboot is good installed in flash the way to run it is typing minicom and a redboot prompt must on the screen?

Thanks a lot

* Re: [ECOS] Run Redboot from flash
@ 2003-12-11 11:35 ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2003-12-11 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ricardo_andrino; +Cc: ecos-discuss

<ricardo_andrino@web.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have built redboot (RAM start up mode) and i have followed
> all the instructions for EB40A board.All run correct but after
> programming the flash memory( fi wr -f 0x01100000 -b %{FREEMEMLO} -l
> 0x10000), the Prompt Redboot> doesn't allow me to type any command
> (hangs up)and when i set JP1 to the user position and make a reset,
> all leds light and redboot doesn't allow me to type any command
> too. Any idea?
>
> Once Redboot is good installed in flash the way to run it is typing
> minicom and a redboot prompt must on the screen?

If you are seeing RedBoot output the prompt then it should be ready to
accept input. It is very rare for one direction to work and the other
not. Check that minicom is not set up to expect hardware flow
control. Presumably you loaded a RAM RedBoot via Angel and then
downloaded and flashed the ROM RedBoot using that. If the RAM RedBoot
worked I cannot see why the ROM one fails. Try rebuilding the ROM
RedBoot from scratch, in a clean directory, it's a longshot but maybe
it was misconfigured in some way.

* Re: [ECOS] Run Redboot from flash
@ 2003-12-27  9:19 Ricardo Andrino
From: Ricardo Andrino @ 2003-12-27  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GaryThomas, RicardoAndrino; +Cc: ecos-discuss, NickGarnett

Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> schrieb am 24.12.03 18:49:35:

> On Wed, 2003-12-24 at 05:14, Ricardo Andrino wrote:
> > Hello,
> > i have sent this mail to you a week ago with the .elf generated,
> > which you wanted  to examine . I told you too that i am using the gcc 5.3.
> > Did you receive it?
>
> Yes.  I don't see anything obvious, other than the order of the
> sections.  I asked if you were running a RedBoot built after October 17.
> I believe that you said yes, but I need to know for sure that the
> sources were updated from *CVS* after that date.  There was a minor
> change in RedBoot's ELF loader that could affect your problem.

The eCos installation was after this date and i have run redboot a couple of weeks ago. If i download the stripped .elf the same error happened. I can do anything until 8th januar since i am out of office. With .srec and .bin no problem.I will ask the my collegue for sure about that.
Thanks

@ 2003-12-25 13:43 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-12-25 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Andrino; +Cc: ecos-discuss, Nick Garnett

@ 2003-12-24 17:49 Ricardo Andrino
From: Ricardo Andrino @ 2003-12-24 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss, gary, nickg

@ 2003-12-17 12:16 Ricardo Andrino
From: Ricardo Andrino @ 2003-12-17 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GaryThomas, NickGarnett; +Cc: ecos-discuss, RicardoAndrino

Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> schrieb am 16.12.03 16:15:27:

> On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 07:49, Nick Garnett wrote:
> > "Ricardo Andrino" <ricardo_andrino@web.de> writes:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I think that there is a problem with the generated .elf file. I have
> > > run the applications with .bin and .srec and all work fine but if i
> > > try to do it with the .elf files an error comes ( 0x08054 not a RAM
> > > address, see please in the mails).I have done what all you me
> > > suggested, arm-elf-strip, and the problem comes again. Only to know
> > > why is happend. I can use .bin and .srec file to run my
> > > applications.
> >
> > I'm afraid I've run out of ideas about what this could be. I normally
> > only use the ELF files to load and debug with GDB. I usually use the
> > .srec file when loading explicitly. Maybe there is a bug somewhere in
> > the RedBoot ELF loader that this particular executable is
> > exposing. This code doesn't get exercised as much as other parts of
> > RedBoot.
>
> I did make a change in this area on October 17.  If you (Ricardo)
> aren't using code that's at least that new, it might be a good idea
> to try.  (note: you'll need CVS sources from at least that date
> and rebuild & reinstall RedBoot on your platform)

All eCos packages were installed after 17 October but recently we have install the last snapshot from the CVS Repository,that is  why the EB40A files weren't include in ecos 2.0 version.

Thanks

@ 2003-12-16 15:43   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-12-16 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Garnett; +Cc: Ricardo Andrino, ecos-discuss

@ 2003-12-16 14:49 ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2003-12-16 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Andrino; +Cc: ecos-discuss, GaryThomas

@ 2003-12-16 14:47 Ricardo Andrino
From: Ricardo Andrino @ 2003-12-16 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NickGarnett; +Cc: ecos-discuss, GaryThomas

@ 2003-12-12 15:13 ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2003-12-12 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Andrino; +Cc: GaryThomas, ecos-discuss

@ 2003-12-12 13:59 Ricardo Andrino
From: Ricardo Andrino @ 2003-12-12 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GaryThomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss, NickGarnett

@ 2003-12-12 13:46 ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2003-12-12 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Andrino; +Cc: ecos-discuss

"Ricardo Andrino" <ricardo_andrino@web.de> writes:

> Hello,
> I have success installed the Redboot on flash, run good and i have tried agian to run the hello program with this new enviorment.Now the RAM memory map is 0x0000000-0x00040000, 0x0000a960-0x00040000 available). So what i don't understand is why when i type this:
> Redboot>load -m xmodem
> Send my hello (compiled and linked when a RAM startup mode)
> Redboot>go
> i send the same message as before "!Attempt to load ELF data to address :0x00008054 whih is not in RAM. Why this address? It's not suppose that should it beginn at 0x00020000?Where can i see this?(vectors.o ?).

The executable should be loading from 0xc000, nothing should load
below that. Are you building a separate eCos configuration for the RAM
test? Make sure you are not reusing the RedBoot config. Also try
building and running some of the test programs that come with eCos.

Run the following command:

arm-elf-objdump -h hello

and show us the output.

* Re: [ECOS] Run Redboot from flash
       [not found] <200312121251.hBCCpYQ17140@mailgate5.cinetic.de>
@ 2003-12-12 13:13 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-12-12 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Andrino; +Cc: eCos Discussion

Please copy the list so that all may benefit.  Private email will be
ignored.

On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 05:51, Ricardo Andrino wrote:
> Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> schrieb am 12.12.03 13:12:23:
> >
> > On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 05:05, Ricardo Andrino wrote:
> > > Here is..
> > > thanks
> > >
> > > ****************************************************************************
> > > basic:     file format elf32-littlearm
> > >
> > > Sections:
> > > Idx Name          Size      VMA       LMA       File off  Algn
> > >   0 .debug_aranges 00001528  00000000  00000000  0000ad00  2**0
> > >                   CONTENTS, READONLY, DEBUGGING
> > >   1 .debug_pubnames 00003680  00000000  00000000  0000c228  2**0
> > >                   CONTENTS, READONLY, DEBUGGING
> > >   2 .debug_info   0006444c  00000000  00000000  0000f8a8  2**0
> > >                   CONTENTS, READONLY, DEBUGGING
> > >   3 .debug_abbrev 00009f5c  00000000  00000000  00073cf4  2**0
> > >                   CONTENTS, READONLY, DEBUGGING
> > >   4 .debug_line   00015094  00000000  00000000  0007dc50  2**0
> > >                   CONTENTS, READONLY, DEBUGGING
> > >   5 .debug_frame  000039cc  00000000  00000000  00092ce4  2**2
> > >                   CONTENTS, READONLY, DEBUGGING
> > >   6 .debug_str    00009032  00000000  00000000  000966b0  2**0
> > >                   CONTENTS, READONLY, DEBUGGING
> > >   7 .fixed_vectors 00000140  00000020  00000020  0009f700  2**5
> > >                   CONTENTS, READONLY
> > >   8 .rom_vectors  00000040  0000c000  0000c000  00004000  2**0
> > >                   CONTENTS, ALLOC, LOAD, READONLY, CODE
> > >   9 .text         00006628  0000c040  0000c040  00004040  2**2
> > >                   CONTENTS, ALLOC, LOAD, READONLY, CODE
> > >  10 .fini         00000000  00012668  00012668  0009f840  2**0
> > >                   CONTENTS
> > >  11 .rodata       000003ec  00012668  00012668  0000a668  2**2
> > >                   CONTENTS, ALLOC, LOAD, READONLY, DATA
> > >  12 .rodata1      00000000  00012a54  00012a54  0009f840  2**0
> > >                   CONTENTS
> > >  13 .fixup        00000000  00012a54  00012a54  0009f840  2**0
> > >                   CONTENTS
> > >  14 .gcc_except_table 00000000  00012a54  00012a54  0009f840  2**0
> > >                   CONTENTS
> > >  15 .data         000002ac  00012a54  00012a54  0000aa54  2**2
> > >                   CONTENTS, ALLOC, LOAD, DATA
> > >  16 .bss          00004284  00012d00  00012d00  0000ad00  2**5
> > >                   ALLOC
> > >  17 .debug_ranges 000003b0  00000000  00000000  0009f840  2**0
> > >                   CONTENTS, READONLY, DEBUGGING
> > >
> > > ***************************************************************************
> > >

> > Are you sure that this is the program you tried to load?  In particular,
> > from the map above you can see that it will only load into locations
> >   0xc000..0xc03f, 0xc040..0x12667, 0x12668..0x12a53, 0x12a54..0x12cff
> > There's nothing in there in the area of 0x8054.
>
> Yes it is,
> in Redboot> load -m xmodem
> then Ctrl A Z (minicom) and Send file, i go to the path and select the
> basic file. I don't know if there is something worng in the minicom
> configuration but i don't think so.38000 8N1 no software/hardware flow control.

Minicom and/or X-modem have nothing to do with *where* code gets loaded.
That's up to the ELF image itself.

> Can i convert the file into .bin and use the -r option and say to
> download from the 0xc000 and then go -b 0xc040 ? or must be the
> start addresse 0x20000?

You could certainly try this.  Or you could try using GDB.

@ 2003-12-12 12:32 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-12-12 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Andrino; +Cc: ecos-discuss, Nick Garnett

@ 2003-12-12 12:12 Ricardo Andrino
From: Ricardo Andrino @ 2003-12-12 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GaryThomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss, NickGarnett

@ 2003-12-12 12:05 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-12-12 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Andrino; +Cc: ecos-discuss, Nick Garnett

@ 2003-12-12 11:53 Ricardo Andrino
From: Ricardo Andrino @ 2003-12-12 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GaryThomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss, NickGarnett

@ 2003-12-12 11:51 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-12-12 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Andrino; +Cc: ecos-discuss, Nick Garnett

@ 2003-12-12 10:35 Ricardo Andrino
From: Ricardo Andrino @ 2003-12-12 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GaryThomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss, NickGarnett

@ 2003-12-11 16:31 Ricardo Andrino
From: Ricardo Andrino @ 2003-12-11 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GaryThomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss, NickGarnett

@ 2003-12-11 16:18 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-12-11 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Andrino; +Cc: ecos-discuss, Nick Garnett

@ 2003-12-11 15:33 Ricardo Andrino
From: Ricardo Andrino @ 2003-12-11 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GaryThomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss, NickGarnett

@ 2003-12-11 14:38 ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2003-12-11 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Andrino; +Cc: ecos-discuss

"Ricardo Andrino" <ricardo_andrino@web.de> writes:

> Hello and thank you again, I will do what you say.
> Now i am running redboot fron RAM and try to run the hello program. I have made the following:
>
> 1)Convert the elf image (with no extension or .elf or .exe) to Binary (.bin) image:
> for ARM:
> $arm-elf-objcopy -O binary hello hello.bin
>
> 2)Open terminal:
> for Linux: Open minicom
> $ minicom
>
> 3)Set the baud rates & other Uart parameters:
> usualy 38400 baud + 8bits + no parity + no handshake. Hardware and Software flow control NO.
>
> 4)RedBoot> load -r -m xmodem -b 0x000200c0 ( first memory zone available after download redboot_RAM.elf)
>
> 5)After issuing the command send the .bin file using XMODEM protocol:
> for Linux (minicom):
> issue send file command <Cntl+A, S>, select "send xmodem", type the path to the file (.bin) & send
>
> 6)At the Redboot prompt "RedBoot> " issue the 'go' command:
> RedBoot> go 0x20100( after 40 position for vectors, i am not sure about this, should be 0x000200c0?)
>
> I should see the application running & the outputs on the terminal window but no output is diplayed but the led D3 light.........(EB40A)
>
> I have made correct the redboot_RAM.elf, connecto to redboot, a hello RAM aplication etc, etc....
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance.

eCos applications are not position independent, they have to be loaded
exactly where they expect to run. Unfortunately, this is also exactly
where the RAM RedBoot is running. Your best bet is to continue trying
to find out why the ROM RedBoot is not working properly. A secondary
approach is to adjust the load address of the test program by editing
the lib/target.ld in the eCos install tree so that it will run at
0x000200c0.

* Re: [ECOS] Run Redboot from flash
@ 2003-12-11 14:07 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-12-11 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)