* Re: [ECOS] Re: redboot for x86 baced PC
@ 2003-01-10  6:43 harish.vaidya
From: harish.vaidya @ 2003-01-10  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

>Actually that sounds like it *isn't* trying to boot off the floppy. If it
>was and failed, it would likely just freeze.

>Did you definitely copy the .bin image to the floppy correctly? Can you
>try a different PC? Have you verified the BIOS boot order options?

As per instructions in the user guide i used "dd" command to copy .bin file into floppy.
i followed these instructions:
1. took a new floppy. formatted using "fdformat /dev/fd0"
2. mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
3. dd conv=sync if=/home/hv/redboot/redboot.bin of=/dev/fd0
4. when i tried "ls /mnt/floppy" it showed some junk characters. that is the contents of floppy.
so do you suspect anything wrong in copying the file. once i do "dd" what should be the contents of floppy.
5. I checked the BIOS boot order options properly. floppy is first.
6. rebooted the machine. the rest i have already told.
7. same floppy i tried in different machine (windows PC) by changing the boot order as floppy first. but still it does'nt work.

Meanwhile i will try in other linux machine. do you suspect anything wrong with procedure i followed

regards
Harish

* Re: [ECOS] Re: redboot for x86 baced PC
@ 2003-01-10 12:24 ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2003-01-10 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: harish.vaidya; +Cc: Jonathan Larmour, ecos-discuss

harish.vaidya@philips.com writes:

> >Actually that sounds like it *isn't* trying to boot off the floppy. If it
> >was and failed, it would likely just freeze.
>
> >Did you definitely copy the .bin image to the floppy correctly? Can you
> >try a different PC? Have you verified the BIOS boot order options?
>
> As per instructions in the user guide i used "dd" command to copy .bin file into floppy.
> i followed these instructions:
> 1. took a new floppy. formatted using "fdformat /dev/fd0"
> 2. mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

Don't do this.

> 3. dd conv=sync if=/home/hv/redboot/redboot.bin of=/dev/fd0

I also add bs=512 to that line. But I am not sure it makes any difference

> 4. when i tried "ls /mnt/floppy" it showed some junk characters. that is the contents of floppy.
> so do you suspect anything wrong in copying the file. once i do "dd"
> what should be the contents of floppy.

Do you subsequently unmount the floppy after writing RedBoot? It is
possible that the filesystem writes old content back to the the floppy
and corrupts RedBoot.

> 5. I checked the BIOS boot order options properly. floppy is first.
> 6. rebooted the machine. the rest i have already told.
> 7. same floppy i tried in different machine (windows PC) by changing the boot order as floppy first. but still it does'nt work.
>
> Meanwhile i will try in other linux machine. do you suspect anything wrong with procedure i followed

Try a different floppy. Maybe the one you are using has some bad sectors.

--
Nick Garnett - eCos Kernel Architect
http://www.eCosCentric.com/

* Re: [ECOS] Re: redboot for x86 baced PC
       [not found] <OF2014BF54.6A6DCF45-ON65256CAA.001FB491-80256CAA.003F8384@diamond.philips.c om>
@ 2003-01-10 12:00 ` Gary D. Thomas
From: Gary D. Thomas @ 2003-01-10 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: harish.vaidya; +Cc: Jonathan Larmour, eCos Discussion

On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 22:57, harish.vaidya@philips.com wrote:

> >Actually that sounds like it *isn't* trying to boot off the floppy. If it
> >was and failed, it would likely just freeze.
>
> >Did you definitely copy the .bin image to the floppy correctly? Can you
> >try a different PC? Have you verified the BIOS boot order options?
>
> As per instructions in the user guide i used "dd" command to copy .bin file into floppy.
> i followed these instructions:
> 1. took a new floppy. formatted using "fdformat /dev/fd0"
> 2. mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

Why did you do this?  You want to copy RedBoot to the floppy in
a RAW format - not as a file in a file system.

> 3. dd conv=sync if=/home/hv/redboot/redboot.bin of=/dev/fd0
> 4. when i tried "ls /mnt/floppy" it showed some junk characters. that is the contents of floppy.
> so do you suspect anything wrong in copying the file. once i do "dd" what should be the contents of floppy.
> 5. I checked the BIOS boot order options properly. floppy is first.
> 6. rebooted the machine. the rest i have already told.
> 7. same floppy i tried in different machine (windows PC) by changing the boot order as floppy first. but still it does'nt work.
>
> Meanwhile i will try in other linux machine. do you suspect anything wrong with procedure i followed

Try it without the "mount" - it should work.

--
.--------------------------------------------------------.
|       Mind: Embedded Linux and eCos Development        |

* Re: [ECOS] Re: redboot for x86 baced PC
@ 2003-01-10  5:38 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2003-01-10  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: harish.vaidya; +Cc: ecos-discuss

harish.vaidya@philips.com wrote:

>>What _do_ you see then. Does it try and boot? Do you see dots?
>

> i don't see any dots or it tries to boot. boot sequence on my Pc is first floppy and second cdrom and third hardisk. so when nothing happens through floppy lilo takes over and boots Redhat Linux 7.1

Actually that sounds like it *isn't* trying to boot off the floppy. If it
was and failed, it would likely just freeze.

Did you definitely copy the .bin image to the floppy correctly? Can you
try a different PC? Have you verified the BIOS boot order options?

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Re: redboot for x86 baced PC
@ 2003-01-10  3:58 harish.vaidya
From: harish.vaidya @ 2003-01-10  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss