* [ECOS] Difference between generated binary files from Linux and Windows  (cygwin)
@ 2004-07-28 13:12 e.coullien
From: e.coullien @ 2004-07-28 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On a Linux environment, when I compile an eCos application with powerpc-eabi-gcc
(version 3.2.2), I don't obtain the same binary files (.bin or .srec) than on a
Cygwin (Windows) environment.

Why the same version of powerpc-eabi-gcc on a different development environment
doesn't make the same binary ?

Thanks,

Emmanuel Coullien
Faiveley

[-- Attachment #2: Faiveley_Disclaimer.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 747 bytes --]

NOTE : Ce courrier électronique est destiné exclusivement au(x) destinataire(s) mentionné(s) ci-dessus et peut contenir des informations privilégiées, confidentielles et/ou non soumises à divulgation aux termes des lois applicables.  Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, ou s'il ne vous est pas destiné, veuillez le signaler immédiatement à l'expéditeur et effacer ce courrier électronique.

NOTE: This e-mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you have received this message in error, or are not the named recipient(s), please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message.

* Re: [ECOS] Difference between generated binary files from Linux and Windows  (cygwin)
@ 2004-07-28 13:19 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2004-07-28 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: e.coullien; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 06:51, e.coullien@faiveley.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On a Linux environment, when I compile an eCos application with powerpc-eabi-gcc
> (version 3.2.2), I don't obtain the same binary files (.bin or .srec) than on a
> Cygwin (Windows) environment.
>
> Why the same version of powerpc-eabi-gcc on a different development environment
> doesn't make the same binary ?

What sort of differences?  Are they consistent, or do they change from
build to build?

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates

* Re: [ECOS] Difference between generated binary files from Linux and Windows  (cygwin)
@ 2004-07-28 13:45 ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2004-07-28 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: e.coullien; +Cc: ecos-discuss

e.coullien@faiveley.com writes:

> Hi,
>
> On a Linux environment, when I compile an eCos application with powerpc-eabi-gcc
> (version 3.2.2), I don't obtain the same binary files (.bin or .srec) than on a
> Cygwin (Windows) environment.
>
> Why the same version of powerpc-eabi-gcc on a different development environment
> doesn't make the same binary ?

The two toolchains should produce identical code so long as the same
options are used.

How do the files differ? You can use objdump on the .elf files to see
exactly where the code generation has changed.