* [ECOS] Atomic functions
@ 2006-07-31 12:01 manu shetty
From: manu shetty @ 2006-07-31 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,
    Does the ECOS supports the "atomic functions"
[atomic_set,atomic_read,atomic_inc] of Linux ?

Regards

* Re: [ECOS] Atomic functions
@ 2006-07-31 13:15 ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2006-07-31 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: manu shetty; +Cc: ecos-discuss

manu shetty <shetty_m@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi,
>     Does the ECOS supports the "atomic functions"
> [atomic_set,atomic_read,atomic_inc] of Linux ?

No.

What exactly are you trying to do? You have so far asked about
sock_register(), an internal function in the Linux networking stack,
device driver bottom half interrupt handlers and now atomic
operations.

It sounds to me like you are trying to shoehorn some large chunk of
Linux kernel code into the eCos network stack. This is probably going
to be an very hard job. eCos is not Linux, you cannot expect to find
any of the Linux kernel calls available. The BSD network stack is
built on quite different principles from the Linux stack, so trying to
glue code from Linux into it is almost bound to fail.

If the functionality you want is available in FreeBSD, then I suggest
you start from there. You would have more chance of getting it to
work than from the Linux code.

Alternatively, if you need a lot of Linux functionality, use
Linux. Perhaps eCos is not suitable for what you want to do.

--
Nick Garnett                                 eCos Kernel Architect
http://www.ecoscentric.com            The eCos and RedBoot experts