* [ECOS] again PCx86 target, console question
@ 2002-06-12 21:50 max
From: max @ 2002-06-12 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos

I have posted this before, I have tried play with some
files without success. I post my problem again. Give
me
your comments.

I have used two version of redboot: one was prety old
built back in 2001 from time stamp. Which was working
OK from prospective of problem I am describing. My
host connect to COM1 on my target through
HyperTerminal. I can see target (redboot) boot up and
print the logo on my Hyperterminal.

The one that I have problem is a newer version. I
built one myself and get one binary from CVS, both
behaves the same way. I could not see redboot show
upon my HyperTerminal. My target's COM ports should
work OK just as described above.

Then I switch to one of my desktop as target,
everything works fine, if I use HyperTerminal, it
shows up on the HyperTerminal, otherwise it shows up
on VGA screen.

So it worked differently ontwo targets. My target is a
prety one ZF 386 SBC.

I welcom any comments, hints to help me trace my
problem down.
Any sugestion to disgnose the problem on redboot.

Thanks in advance.

* Re: [ECOS] again PCx86 target, console question
@ 2002-06-13  5:42 ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2002-06-13  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: max; +Cc: ecos

max <maxrtos@yahoo.com> writes:

> I have posted this before, I have tried play with some
> files without success. I post my problem again. Give
> me
> your comments.
>
> I have used two version of redboot: one was prety old
> built back in 2001 from time stamp. Which was working
> OK from prospective of problem I am describing. My
> host connect to COM1 on my target through
> HyperTerminal. I can see target (redboot) boot up and
> print the logo on my Hyperterminal.
>
> The one that I have problem is a newer version. I
> built one myself and get one binary from CVS, both
> behaves the same way. I could not see redboot show
> upon my HyperTerminal. My target's COM ports should
> work OK just as described above.
>
> Then I switch to one of my desktop as target,
> everything works fine, if I use HyperTerminal, it
> shows up on the HyperTerminal, otherwise it shows up
> on VGA screen.
>
> So it worked differently ontwo targets. My target is a
> prety one ZF 386 SBC.
>
> I welcom any comments, hints to help me trace my
> problem down.
> Any sugestion to disgnose the problem on redboot.
>
> Thanks in advance.

One thing we have had problems with in the past is that some IDE
controllers behave strangely, and can result in redboot locking during
startup.

A quick test for this problem is to disable IDE support in
RedBoot. Disable the CYGSEM_REDBOOT_DISK_IDE or the
CYGPKG_REDBOOT_DISK options and rebuild.

--
Nick Garnett - eCos Kernel Architect

* Re: [ECOS] again PCx86 target, console question
@ 2002-06-24 14:55   ` max
From: max @ 2002-06-24 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Garnett; +Cc: ecos

--- Nick Garnett <nickg@calivar.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> max <maxrtos@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > I have posted this before, I have tried play with
> some
> > files without success. I post my problem again.
> Give
> > me
> > your comments.
> >
> > I have used two version of redboot: one was prety
> old
> > built back in 2001 from time stamp. Which was
> working
> > OK from prospective of problem I am describing. My
> > host connect to COM1 on my target through
> > HyperTerminal. I can see target (redboot) boot up
> and
> > print the logo on my Hyperterminal.
> >
> > The one that I have problem is a newer version. I
> > built one myself and get one binary from CVS, both
> > behaves the same way. I could not see redboot show
> > upon my HyperTerminal. My target's COM ports
> should
> > work OK just as described above.
> >
> > Then I switch to one of my desktop as target,
> > everything works fine, if I use HyperTerminal, it
> > shows up on the HyperTerminal, otherwise it shows
> up
> > on VGA screen.
> >
> > So it worked differently ontwo targets. My target
> is a
> > prety one ZF 386 SBC.
> >
> > I welcom any comments, hints to help me trace my
> > problem down.
> > Any sugestion to disgnose the problem on redboot.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

> One thing we have had problems with in the past is
> that some IDE
> controllers behave strangely, and can result in
> redboot locking during
> startup.
>
> A quick test for this problem is to disable IDE
> support in
> RedBoot. Disable the CYGSEM_REDBOOT_DISK_IDE or the
> CYGPKG_REDBOOT_DISK options and rebuild.
Thansk for suggestion. But not seems to be this.

@ 2002-06-25 14:43     ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2002-06-25 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: max; +Cc: ecos

max <maxrtos@yahoo.com> writes:

> --- Nick Garnett <nickg@calivar.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > One thing we have had problems with in the past is
> > that some IDE
> > controllers behave strangely, and can result in
> > redboot locking during
> > startup.
> >
> > A quick test for this problem is to disable IDE
> > support in
> > RedBoot. Disable the CYGSEM_REDBOOT_DISK_IDE or the
> > CYGPKG_REDBOOT_DISK options and rebuild.

> Thansk for suggestion. But not seems to be this.

In which case I don't have any other suggestions. The hardware of many
PCs is often a little strange and behaves in subtly different
ways. This is why Linux and other operating systems have vast amounts
of code to try and detect and work around these peculiarities. This
aspect of eCos is not that mature yet.

One thing you can do is try and find out where RedBoot locks up. There
is a macro PC_WRITE_SCREEN() in pcmb_io.h that you can use to write
characters to the PC screen. Adding a few of these to the HAL and
RedBoot startup should allow you to narrow down where the problem is.

--
Nick Garnett - eCos Kernel Architect