* [ECOS] ecos project still alive?
@ 2017-06-23 11:25 15802542327
From: 15802542327 @ 2017-06-23 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8, Size: 221 bytes --]

last update has been than 2 years. is this project still alive?

\x03B‹KH\x03B™Y›Ü™H\x1c^[ÜÝ\x1a[™Ë\b\x1c^[\x19X\ÙH\x1c™XY\b\x1d\x1a\x19H\x11TNˆ\x1a\x1d\x1d\x1c\x0e‹ËÙXÛÜËœÛÝ\˜Ù]Ø\™K›Ü™ËÙ›ÛKÙXÛÜÃB˜[™\b\x1cÙX\˜Ú\b\x1d\x1a\x19H^[\x1a\Ý\b\x18\˜Ú\x1a]™Nˆ\x1a\x1d\x1d\x1c\x0e‹ËÙXÛÜËœÛÝ\˜Ù]Ø\™K›Ü™ËÛ[\vÙXÛÜËY\x1a\ØÝ\ÜÃBƒB

* [ECOS] Re: ecos project still alive?
@ 2017-06-23 15:41 ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2017-06-23 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On 2017-06-23, 15802542327 <15802542327@126.com> wrote:

> last update has been than 2 years. is this project still alive?

That depends on your definition of "alive".  It isn't really being
actively developed.  I wouldn't use it for a new project, but it still
works well enough that I'm not looking to port my product firmware to
a different RTOS.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Am I in GRADUATE
                                  at               SCHOOL yet?

* Re: [ECOS] Re: ecos project still alive?
@ 2017-06-23 16:45   ` Alex Schuilenburg
From: Alex Schuilenburg @ 2017-06-23 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On 23/06/17 16:41, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2017-06-23, 15802542327 <15802542327@126.com> wrote:
>
>> last update has been than 2 years. is this project still alive?
> That depends on your definition of "alive".  It isn't really being
> actively developed.  I wouldn't use it for a new project, but it still
> works well enough that I'm not looking to port my product firmware to
> a different RTOS.

I strongly disagree - it is being continually developed.  eCos forms
part of eCosPro and both are continually being developed with new
targets, platforms and functionality routinely being developed and
added.  eCosPro 4.0 was released last year and eCosPro 4.1 will be
released shortly (already shipping beta to specific customers).

I fully accept that the public version of eCos has suffered from a
distinct lack of contributions - eCosCentric have always been the major
contributors but decided for various reasons to take a passive role a
couple of years back and concentrate more on its own product, eCosPro.
Should we ever decide to contribute or branch (there are significant
enhancements which may warrant it), the public version of eCos would
receive a big boost, but these features are already available to our
customers.

--

Alex Schuilenburg

Managing Director/CEO                                    eCosCentric Limited
Tel: +44 1223 245571                          Barnwell House, Barnwell Drive
Fax: +44 1223 248712                                  Cambridge, CB5 8UU, UK
www.ecoscentric.com                 Reg in England and Wales, Reg No 4422071

* Re: [ECOS] ecos project still alive?
@ 2017-06-23 16:58 ` PicassoCT
From: PicassoCT @ 2017-06-23 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On 23.06.2017 13:25, 15802542327 wrote:
> last update has been than 2 years. is this project still alive?

Many successful and completed projects are in maintenance mode.

Everyone is free to contribute, by adding/porting to new plattforms.

* [ECOS] Re: ecos project still alive?
@ 2017-06-23 23:27     ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2017-06-23 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On 2017-06-23, Alex Schuilenburg <alexs@ecoscentric.com> wrote:
> On 23/06/17 16:41, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> On 2017-06-23, 15802542327 <15802542327@126.com> wrote:
>>
>>> last update has been than 2 years. is this project still alive?
>> That depends on your definition of "alive".  It isn't really being
>> actively developed.  I wouldn't use it for a new project, but it still
>> works well enough that I'm not looking to port my product firmware to
>> a different RTOS.
>
> I strongly disagree - it is being continually developed.  eCos forms
> part of eCosPro and both are continually being developed with new
> targets, platforms and functionality routinely being developed and
> added.  eCosPro 4.0 was released last year and eCosPro 4.1 will be
> released shortly (already shipping beta to specific customers).
>
> I fully accept that the public version of eCos has suffered from a
> distinct lack of contributions

Based on his "last update has been than 2 years" comment and the forum
in which he asked his question, I thought it was obvious that he was
asking about the public eCos.

--
Grant

* Re: [ECOS] ecos project still alive?
@ 2017-06-23 23:35   ` Stanislav Meduna
From: Stanislav Meduna @ 2017-06-23 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On 23.6.2017 18:57, PicassoCT wrote:

> Many successful and completed projects are in maintenance mode.

Having one network stack (BSD) from 2002 and another (lwIP)
from 2009 does not look like a maintenance mode to me.

It could well be that the eCosPro lives. This is however in
a price range where there are several alternatives to explore.
I completely respect the eCosCentric's decision not to move
forward with the public version, but as a free OS I'm afraid
the eCos is dead, as there is obviously no relevant community
to contribute.

--
                                      Stano