* [ECOS] AT91SAM7X-EK with TC/IP - unresolved conflicts
@ 2008-08-29 15:04 Robert Brusa
From: Robert Brusa @ 2008-08-29 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi
when selecting the net-package available for my board, I get unresolved
conflicts - and no hint how to solve them. Please check the screen-shot
available under www.brusa.ch/xyz/Conflict_1.png for further details. Any
help is appreciated.
Thanks and nice weekend
Robert

* [ECOS] Fwd: AT91SAM7X-EK with TC/IP - unresolved conflicts
@ 2008-08-29 15:20 ` Robert Brusa
From: Robert Brusa @ 2008-08-29 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Sorry - a printing error. The URL should read
www.brusag.ch/xyz/Conflict_1.png

when selecting the net-package available for my board, I get unresolved
conflicts - and no hint how to solve them. Please check the screen-shot
available under www.brusa.ch/xyz/Conflict_1.png for further details. Any
help is appreciated.
Thanks and nice weekend
Robert

* Re: [ECOS] Fwd: AT91SAM7X-EK with TC/IP - unresolved conflicts
@ 2008-08-29 15:54   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2008-08-29 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Brusa wrote:
> Sorry - a printing error. The URL should read
> www.brusag.ch/xyz/Conflict_1.png

Exactly what steps did you use?  I presume you did this in a
pristine build tree?

I just tried it here with no problems:

[gthomas@titan at91]$ ECOS_REPOSITORY=/local/ecos/packages ecosconfig new at91sam7xek net
U CYGHWR_HAL_ARM_AT91, new inferred value AT91SAM7S
U CYGHWR_HAL_ARM_AT91_FIQ, new inferred value 1
U CYGHWR_HAL_ARM_AT91SAM7, new inferred value at91sam7x256
U CYGHWR_DEVS_ETH_PHY_DM9161A, new inferred value 1
U CYGBLD_ISO_STRUCTTIMEVAL_HEADER, new inferred value <cyg/posix/sys/time.h>
U CYGBLD_ISO_FNMATCH_HEADER, new inferred value <cyg/fileio/fnmatch.h>
[gthomas@titan at91]$ ECOS_REPOSITORY=/local/ecos/packages ecosconfig tree

I also tried it using the configtool - no problems.

* Re: [ECOS] Fwd: AT91SAM7X-EK with TC/IP - unresolved conflicts
@ 2008-08-29 16:06     ` Robert Brusa
From: Robert Brusa @ 2008-08-29 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gary Thomas wrote:

> Exactly what steps did you use?  I presume you did this in a
> pristine build tree?
>
> I also tried it using the configtool - no problems.

Pristine build tree? I think yes I started configtool and clicked on
Build->Templates, made my selections (see screenshot on
www.brusag.ch/xyz/Templates.png) and then clicked ok - and I got conflicts
again again. This time even 6 conflicts (..xyz/conflicts_2.png). How can I
fix this?

@ 2008-08-29 16:26       ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2008-08-29 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Brusa wrote:
> Gary Thomas wrote:
>
>> Exactly what steps did you use?  I presume you did this in a
>> pristine build tree?
>>
>> I also tried it using the configtool - no problems.
>>

> Pristine build tree? I think yes I started configtool and clicked on
> Build->Templates, made my selections (see screenshot on
> www.brusag.ch/xyz/Templates.png) and then clicked ok - and I got
> conflicts again again. This time even 6 conflicts
> (..xyz/conflicts_2.png). How can I fix this?

By "pristine build tree" I mean a completely new configuration.

Have you tried using ecosconfig, per my example?

Also, is your CVS tree up to date?

* Re: [ECOS] Fwd: AT91SAM7X-EK with TC/IP - unresolved conflicts
@ 2008-08-30  0:10     ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2008-08-30  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I just tried it here with no problems:
>
> [gthomas@titan at91]$ ECOS_REPOSITORY=/local/ecos/packages ecosconfig new at91sam7xek net
> U CYGHWR_HAL_ARM_AT91, new inferred value AT91SAM7S
> U CYGHWR_HAL_ARM_AT91_FIQ, new inferred value 1
> U CYGHWR_HAL_ARM_AT91SAM7, new inferred value at91sam7x256
> U CYGHWR_DEVS_ETH_PHY_DM9161A, new inferred value 1
> U CYGBLD_ISO_STRUCTTIMEVAL_HEADER, new inferred value <cyg/posix/sys/time.h>
> U CYGBLD_ISO_FNMATCH_HEADER, new inferred value <cyg/fileio/fnmatch.h>
> [gthomas@titan at91]$ ECOS_REPOSITORY=/local/ecos/packages ecosconfig tree

Me too.

However, this is a pointless exercise. The AT91SAM7X only has 64K
RAM. Getting the FreeBSD stack to work in that is probably impossible.

Try the lwip_eth template. Then you will need to tune the lwip
configuration.

    Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Fwd: AT91SAM7X-EK with TC/IP - unresolved conflicts
@ 2008-09-01  9:27       ` Robert Brusa
From: Robert Brusa @ 2008-09-01  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 18:26:08 +0200, Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> wrote:

...some old stuff removed...

> However, this is a pointless exercise. The AT91SAM7X only has 64K
> RAM. Getting the FreeBSD stack to work in that is probably impossible.
>
> Try the lwip_eth template. Then you will need to tune the lwip
> configuration.
>
>     Andrew

Not beeing able to use ethernet would be a serious blow to my planing. I
intend to call a few routines on my target using RPC. This would allow me
to implement a nice GUI on a PC and have the embedded software free of
lengthy user I/F-code. Is RPC supported by ecos?

Back to the above exercise: When using ecosconfig, it seems to work, but
when I call ecosconfig check, I get the following:
================ calling ecosconfig --verbose check
ecos.db, package CYGPKG_HAL_FR30_MB91360: warning
     This package is not present in the component repository.
     There is no directory `/opt/ecos/ecos-2.x/packages/hal/fr30/mb91360'.
ecos.db, package CYGPKG_HAL_FR30_MB91360_PHYTEC91F364G: warning
     This package is not present in the component repository.
     There is no directory
`/opt/ecos/ecos-2.x/packages/hal/fr30/phytec91f364g'.
ecos.db, target phytec91f364g: warning
     This target refers to an unknown package `CYGPKG_HAL_FR30_MB91360'.
ecos.db, target phytec91f364g: warning
     This target refers to an unknown package
`CYGPKG_HAL_FR30_MB91360_PHYTEC91F364G'.
ecos.db, target pc_usb_d12: warning
     This target refers to a package `CYGPKG_IO_FILEIO' that is not
hardware-specific.
Target: at91sam7xek
Template: net
No conflicts
=============
Then I call make. It goes through with much output and no errors, but I
can find nowhere a result (library). ????

Finally: Prior to switching to lwip_eth, I would like to learn a bit more
about this package (RPC ?). But a search with lwip in the ecos reference
did not produce a hit.

* Re: [ECOS] Fwd: AT91SAM7X-EK with TC/IP - unresolved conflicts
@ 2008-09-01  9:38         ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2008-09-01  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Brusa; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 11:28:58AM +0200, Robert Brusa wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 18:26:08 +0200, Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> wrote:
>
> ...some old stuff removed...
>
>> However, this is a pointless exercise. The AT91SAM7X only has 64K
>> RAM. Getting the FreeBSD stack to work in that is probably impossible.
>>
>> Try the lwip_eth template. Then you will need to tune the lwip
>> configuration.
>>
>>     Andrew
>
> Not beeing able to use ethernet would be a serious blow to my planing.

I never said that. I just said the FreeBSD stack will not work. The
lwip stack has been shown to work on the AT91SAM7X. Go google lwip.

> Is RPC supported by ecos?

RPC is too generic a word. Do you mean Suns RPC used by NFS, RFC 1057?
Do you mean XML-RPC like http://www.xmlrpc.com/. Do you mean COBRA?

Out of the box eCos supports none of these. However you could port
something or write your own RPC code.

> Back to the above exercise: When using ecosconfig, it seems to work, but
> when I call ecosconfig check, I get the following:
> ================ calling ecosconfig --verbose check
> ecos.db, package CYGPKG_HAL_FR30_MB91360: warning
>     This package is not present in the component repository.
>     There is no directory `/opt/ecos/ecos-2.x/packages/hal/fr30/mb91360'.
> ecos.db, package CYGPKG_HAL_FR30_MB91360_PHYTEC91F364G: warning
>     This package is not present in the component repository.
>     There is no directory
> `/opt/ecos/ecos-2.x/packages/hal/fr30/phytec91f364g'.
> ecos.db, target phytec91f364g: warning
>     This target refers to an unknown package `CYGPKG_HAL_FR30_MB91360'.
> ecos.db, target phytec91f364g: warning
>     This target refers to an unknown package
> `CYGPKG_HAL_FR30_MB91360_PHYTEC91F364G'.
> ecos.db, target pc_usb_d12: warning
>     This target refers to a package `CYGPKG_IO_FILEIO' that is not
> hardware-specific.
> Target: at91sam7xek
> Template: net
> No conflicts
> =============
> Then I call make. It goes through with much output and no errors, but I
> can find nowhere a result (library). ????

Look in install/lib .

     Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Fwd: AT91SAM7X-EK with TC/IP - unresolved conflicts
@ 2008-09-02  8:10           ` Robert Brusa
From: Robert Brusa @ 2008-09-02  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn, Robert Brusa; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 11:36:43 +0200, Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> wrote:

> I never said that. I just said the FreeBSD stack will not work. The
> lwip stack has been shown to work on the AT91SAM7X. Go google lwip.

running through ecosconfig new at91sam7xek lwip_eth
etc. seems to work. But when I try to build my previously working
projects, flash support is no longer available and the cor. calls produce
errors (e. g. a call to flash_program)

On the other hand, when attempting to configure the same thing using
configtool, there are 5 conflicts the tool is not able to resolve. From a
first look at the ecc-file, it seems to be a problem that somewhere a
restriction for the AT91SAM7S is required. Any adice how to overcome this
hurdle?

>> Is RPC supported by ecos?
>
> RPC is too generic a word. Do you mean Suns RPC used by NFS, RFC 1057?
> Do you mean XML-RPC like http://www.xmlrpc.com/. Do you mean COBRA?
>
> Out of the box eCos supports none of these. However you could port
> something or write your own RPC code.

-
I am talking about RFC 1831 (which is the successor of 1057). I have built
a small example using Suns rpcgen-tool and it worked fine using two
linux-PCs linked by ethernet. Now the next step would be to port the
serverapp to my AT91SAM7X target. The 2nd step then would be to "expand"
this little server app to handle the routines my app requires - by hand or
using e. g. rpcgen-produced templates. Is this a realistic scenario?

@ 2008-09-02  8:42             ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2008-09-02  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Brusa; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 10:11:11AM +0200, Robert Brusa wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 11:36:43 +0200, Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> wrote:
>

>> I never said that. I just said the FreeBSD stack will not work. The
>> lwip stack has been shown to work on the AT91SAM7X. Go google lwip.
>>
> running through ecosconfig new at91sam7xek lwip_eth
> etc. seems to work. But when I try to build my previously working
> projects, flash support is no longer available and the cor. calls produce
> errors (e. g. a call to flash_program)

So you probably need to add the flash package.

> On the other hand, when attempting to configure the same thing using
> configtool, there are 5 conflicts the tool is not able to resolve. From a
> first look at the ecc-file, it seems to be a problem that somewhere a
> restriction for the AT91SAM7S is required. Any adice how to overcome this
> hurdle?

No, not without you giving us the details...

> I am talking about RFC 1831 (which is the successor of 1057). I have
> built a small example using Suns rpcgen-tool and it worked fine using two
> linux-PCs linked by ethernet. Now the next step would be to port the
> serverapp to my AT91SAM7X target. The 2nd step then would be to "expand"
> this little server app to handle the routines my app requires - by hand
> or using e. g. rpcgen-produced templates. Is this a realistic scenario?
>    Robert

I've never used these tools, so it is hard to say. What libraries do
you need? How dependent are these on having true BSD sockets? The lwip
stack has something like BSD sockets, but it is not true BSD
sockets. You might run into problems when porting the RPC libraries
etc.

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Fwd: AT91SAM7X-EK with TC/IP - unresolved conflicts
@ 2008-09-03 13:22               ` Robert Brusa
From: Robert Brusa @ 2008-09-03 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn, Robert Brusa; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 10:41:20 +0200, Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 10:11:11AM +0200, Robert Brusa wrote:
>> On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 11:36:43 +0200, Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> wrote:
>>

>>> I never said that. I just said the FreeBSD stack will not work. The
>>> lwip stack has been shown to work on the AT91SAM7X. Go google lwip.
>>>
>> running through ecosconfig new at91sam7xek lwip_eth
>> etc. seems to work. But when I try to build my previously working
>> projects, flash support is no longer available and the cor. calls
>> produce
>> errors (e. g. a call to flash_program)
>
> So you probably need to add the flash package.

I did - and more - see below

>> On the other hand, when attempting to configure the same thing using
>> configtool, there are 5 conflicts the tool is not able to resolve. From
>> first look at the ecc-file, it seems to be a problem that somewhere a
>> restriction for the AT91SAM7S is required. Any adice how to overcome
>> this
>> hurdle?
>
> No, not without you giving us the details...

Meanwhile I have tried a lot, but was not able to produce a working eCOS
with TCP/IP. Finally I succeeded in producing a version free of conflicts.
I have put the files I am referencing in the next lines on the web at
www.brusag.ch/xyz

script used to generate eCOS: ecosconfig.sh
copy of command line to invoke the script (with redirection of output)
terminal.txt
the output o the script: config.log
the ecc-file: ecos.ecc
a test program: tracker.c

As one can see in terminal.txt and config.log, there is a problem when
generating the tests. I decided to ignore this and make a test with a
small user program tracker.c. The program does not use TCP/IP and (under
this configuration) it behaves strangly. I then found out that when
running thread_0 the stackpointer points to nirwana!

Any help to generate a working configuration for my Eval-Kit that support
TCP/IP is highly appreciated. Thanks.
   Robert

>> I am talking about RFC 1831 (which is the successor of 1057). I have
>> built a small example using Suns rpcgen-tool and it worked fine using
>> two
>> linux-PCs linked by ethernet. Now the next step would be to port the
>> serverapp to my AT91SAM7X target. The 2nd step then would be to "expand"
>> this little server app to handle the routines my app requires - by hand
>> or using e. g. rpcgen-produced templates. Is this a realistic scenario?
>>    Robert
>
> I've never used these tools, so it is hard to say. What libraries do
> you need? How dependent are these on having true BSD sockets? The lwip
> stack has something like BSD sockets, but it is not true BSD
> sockets. You might run into problems when porting the RPC libraries
> etc.
>
>         Andrew
Well, given the present status, RPC is only a dream...