* [ECOS] How to set big-endian for ARM target?
@ 1999-10-28 14:46 Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 1999-10-28 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos

I've got big-endian hardware with a little-endian eCOS, and it doesn't
work too well. :)

I've found that adding -mbig-endian to ARCHFLAGS in pkgconf/makevars
takes care of the compiling/assembling, but ld is unhappy because it
thinks the target is little-endian and it's being given big-endian
files:

arm-elf-ld --whole-archive /home/grante/ecos/ecos-1.2.1/packages/ecos-arm7/install/lib/libextras.a -r -o /home/grante/ecos/ecos-1.2.1/packages/ecos-arm7/install/lib/extras.o
arm-elf-ld: hal_dummy.o: compiled for a big endian system and target is little endian
File in wrong format: failed to merge target specific data of file /home/grante/ecos/ecos-1.2.1/packages/ecos-arm7/install/lib/libextras.a(hal_dummy.o)

[...]

I've added -EB to LDARCHFLAGS in makevars, but that doesn't seem to be
used in the build step above.  Was there a configure script option I
missed that specifies the target endianness?

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com

* Re: [ECOS] How to set big-endian for ARM target?
@ 1999-10-29  7:42 ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 1999-10-29  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: ecos

Grant> I've got big-endian hardware with a little-endian eCOS, and it
Grant> doesn't work too well. :)

Grant> I've found that adding -mbig-endian to ARCHFLAGS in
Grant> pkgconf/makevars takes care of the compiling/assembling, but ld
Grant> is unhappy because it thinks the target is little-endian and
Grant> it's being given big-endian files:

Grant> arm-elf-ld --whole-archive
Grant> /home/grante/ecos/ecos-1.2.1/packages/ecos-arm7/install/lib/libextras.a
Grant> -r -o
Grant> /home/grante/ecos/ecos-1.2.1/packages/ecos-arm7/install/lib/extras.o
Grant> arm-elf-ld: hal_dummy.o: compiled for a big endian system and
Grant> target is little endian File in wrong format: failed to merge
Grant> target specific data of file
Grant> /home/grante/ecos/ecos-1.2.1/packages/ecos-arm7/install/lib/libextras.a(hal_dummy.o)

Grant> [...]

Grant> I've added -EB to LDARCHFLAGS in makevars, but that doesn't
Grant> seem to be used in the build step above.  Was there a configure
Grant> script option I missed that specifies the target endianness?

Try adding this to the arm.ld linker script:

 #if defined(__ARMEB__)
 OUTPUT_FORMAT(elf32-bigarm)
 #endif

May do the trick.

Jesper

* Re: [ECOS] How to set big-endian for ARM target?
@ 1999-11-01  1:26 ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 1999-11-01  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: ecos

Grant> I've got big-endian hardware with a little-endian eCOS, and it
Grant> doesn't work too well. :)

Look out for ARM BE changes made for the PID platform. They should
appear in the CVS sources in a weeks time or so.

Jesper