* [ECOS] how to run the program
@ 2000-08-30  2:44 Andreas.Karlsson
From: Andreas.Karlsson @ 2000-08-30  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,

I've been using gdb all the time but how do I download the program on my AEB
and run it without wanting to debug it?

I want to see if the interrupts and timers work...

* Re: [ECOS] how to run the program
@ 2000-08-30  9:03 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-08-30  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas.Karlsson; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Andreas.Karlsson@combitechsystems.com wrote:

> I've been using gdb all the time but how do I download the program on my AEB
> and run it without wanting to debug it?
>
> I want to see if the interrupts and timers work...

You mean without using GDB as the loader? Since there isn't a port of
RedBoot or CygMon to the AEB then the only real alternative is to program
it into the flash. This means build eCos for "ROM" startup, and relink your
app against it.

Then follow the same procedure you used to program the GDB stubs images
into flash.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] how to run the program
@ 2000-08-31  1:22   ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2000-08-31  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: Andreas.Karlsson, ecos-discuss

Jonathan> Then follow the same procedure you used to program the GDB
Jonathan> stubs images into flash.

Unfortunately it's a bit of a fiddle to program the flash on the
AEB. And as far as I remember it's not very big.

Anyway, you need to make a wrapper file which adds the necessary flash
identification magic - just as is done for the stubs, indeed. But you
need to change the name used in the wrapper, just as you have to add
build rules to execute the same commands as is used when producing the
stubs image.

See the CDL file - it contains all the details.

Jesper

* RE: [ECOS] how to run the program
@ 2000-08-31  2:08 ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2000-08-31  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas.Karlsson; +Cc: jskov, ecos-discuss, aeb

Andreas> Which CDL file hal_arm_aeb.cdl?

Yes.

Andreas> This can't be the first time. Anyone out there who have done
Andreas> this and want to share experiences? Why inventing the wheel
Andreas> twice?

The eCos build system builds eCos. Application building/linkage
is done by whatever system the user is using. The output image from
that process needs further mangling to be installed in the AEB flash
(due to the AEB rom monitor).

Basically, the process is just more cumbersome than what is also
required for other platforms - on other platforms you may have to
convert the ELF object to binary for EPROM programming, or convert it
to SREC format for downloading and in-situ flash updating.

For the AEB you simply need to do more than just an objcopy. Indeed,
if you are lucky, someone has already written something to simplify
that process. But it is outside the scope of the eCos build system.

Jesper

* RE: [ECOS] how to run the program
@ 2000-08-31  1:49 Andreas.Karlsson
From: Andreas.Karlsson @ 2000-08-31  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jskov; +Cc: ecos-discuss, aeb

Jonathan> Then follow the same procedure you used to program the GDB

Jonathan> stubs images into flash.

>Unfortunately it's a bit of a fiddle to program the flash on the

>AEB. And as far as I remember it's not very big.

256K I think.

>Anyway, you need to make a wrapper file which adds the necessary flash

>identification magic - just as is done for the stubs, indeed. But you

>need to change the name used in the wrapper, just as you have to add

>build rules to execute the same commands as is used when producing the

>stubs image.

>See the CDL file - it contains all the details.

Which CDL file hal_arm_aeb.cdl?

This can't be the first time. Anyone out there who have done this and want
to share experiences? Why inventing the wheel twice?