* [ECOS] Embedding eCos Application
@ 2001-07-05 23:19 K. Young Park
From: K. Young Park @ 2001-07-05 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi, all.
I want to embed my eCos application to my SA-1110 based platform.
I ported redboot to the platform and it works fine.
I developed an application using the remote debugging facility of GDB.
Now I want to make the application stand alone, that is, it should run on reset.
Of course I can make my redboot to load the application and execute it,
but it requires additional ROM and some HAL codes will be duplicated.
I have tried to include the application to the RedBoot, but the system crashes
when it encounters kernel API such as semaphore_wait.
Simple inclusion of CYGPKG_KERNEL does not seem to properly initialize all the kernel stuffs.
Now my question is what modification will be needed to the RedBoot if I want to run an eCos application on the RedBoot?
Or do you have any better idea for making the application stand-alone?
Thanks in advance.

K. Young Park

* Re: [ECOS] Embedding eCos Application
@ 2001-07-05 23:36 ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2001-07-05 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: K. Young Park; +Cc: ecos-discuss

K> Hi, all.  I want to embed my eCos application to my SA-1110 based
K> platform.  I ported redboot to the platform and it works fine.  I
K> developed an application using the remote debugging facility of
K> GDB.  Now I want to make the application stand alone, that is, it
K> should run on reset.  Of course I can make my redboot to load the
K> application and execute it, but it requires additional ROM and some
K> HAL codes will be duplicated.  I have tried to include the
K> application to the RedBoot, but the system crashes when it
K> encounters kernel API such as semaphore_wait.  Simple inclusion of
K> CYGPKG_KERNEL does not seem to properly initialize all the kernel
K> stuffs.  Now my question is what modification will be needed to the
K> RedBoot if I want to run an eCos application on the RedBoot?  Or do
K> you have any better idea for making the application stand-alone?
K> Thanks in advance.

Put a RAM startup copy of the app in flash and use RedBoot to load and
execute the image via a startup script.

Alternatively, make a ROM startup version of the application and
put it in the flash where RedBoot is now. This option doesn't allow
for easy updates of the application though.

Jesper