* [ECOS] Debug Error
@ 2001-03-20 21:55 james chen
From: james chen @ 2001-03-20 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

       When I debug eCos example between insight5.0 and redboot, when goes
into hal_if_init(hal_if.c). it will response nothing(that is say redboot
doesn't send packages back to insight).

        When redboot already run in ROM, does I need to re-call hal_if_init
function in my hal_hardware_init function? if I releaes a version of eCos,
how to config eCos HAL package?

james chen

* Re: [ECOS] Debug Error
@ 2001-03-20 22:05 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-03-20 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: james chen; +Cc: ecos-discuss

james chen wrote:

>        When I debug eCos example between insight5.0 and redboot, when goes
> into hal_if_init(hal_if.c). it will response nothing(that is say redboot
> doesn't send packages back to insight).

Does it work if you don't try and debug this function? Depending on what
version of hal_if.c you have, and your configuration, you might find that
trying to debug hal_if_init is doomed to failure as it changes the debug
channel midway.

>         When redboot already run in ROM, does I need to re-call hal_if_init
> function in my hal_hardware_init function?

You mean in your RAM startup application? Then yes. As ever, use the
existing implementations in eCos as your guide.

> if I releaes a version of eCos, how to config eCos HAL package?

Sorry, this question seems a bit vague. Can you please clarify it?

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Debug Error
@ 2001-03-20 23:42 ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2001-03-20 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: james chen; +Cc: ecos-discuss

james>        When I debug eCos example between insight5.0 and
james> redboot, when goes into hal_if_init(hal_if.c). it will response
james> nothing(that is say redboot doesn't send packages back to
james> insight).

hal_if_init is a dead end debugging wise - it makes changes to the
channels used by the GDB stub for communication.

james>         When redboot already run in ROM, does I need to re-call
james> hal_if_init function in my hal_hardware_init function?

Yes, you need to call it - but in this case it will be safe. It all
comes down to the configuration. What's probably happening is that
CYGSEM_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_INIT_WHOLE_TABLE is set in your RAM
application.

If you do indeed have redboot in ROM, you can safely disable that
option. And then you should be able to step through the hal_if_init
code.

I'll add some comments to the code to warn about this.

Jesper

* Re: [ECOS] Debug Error
@ 2001-03-20 22:24 james chen
From: james chen @ 2001-03-20 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

>james chen wrote:
>>
>>        When I debug eCos example between insight5.0 and redboot, when
goes
>> into hal_if_init(hal_if.c). it will response nothing(that is say redboot
>> doesn't send packages back to insight).

>Does it work if you don't try and debug this function? Depending on what
>version of hal_if.c you have, and your configuration, you might find that
>trying to debug hal_if_init is doomed to failure as it changes the debug
>channel midway.

first I set breakpoint in cyg_start, it doesn't reach this breakpoint, so I
debug step by step and get no response at hal_if_init. if I skip debug
hal_if_init. it is still no response.
my CPU is ARM7TDMI, and I use the default configure in eCos HAL packages

>>         When redboot already run in ROM, does I need to re-call
hal_if_init
>> function in my hal_hardware_init function?

>You mean in your RAM startup application? Then yes. As ever, use the
>existing implementations in eCos as your guide.

>> if I releaes a version of eCos, how to config eCos HAL package?

>Sorry, this question seems a bit vague. Can you please clarify it?
sorry, I mean the component of CYGPKG_HAL_ROM_MONITOR, it seems that it
correlate to ROM monitor and applications doesn't it, is it right? :-)

Jifl, thanks very much!