* [ECOS] Ecos on an  i386 PC target
@ 2000-07-27 17:48 Paolo Marini
From: Paolo Marini @ 2000-07-27 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi all,

I recently spent some time evaluating Ecos,
beginning with a PC platform.

I downloaded the GNU tools, the Ecos tarball,
followed the instructions and built a cross development environment for a Linux
RH62 creating executables for an i386-elf PC. I built the ecos pc stubs tree,
created the floppy and fired up an old abandoned PC. The GDB (Insight) debugger
seems to connect to the target (If I disconnect the serial cable, the debugger
stops for some times).

When downloading an executable to the PC target, it
suddenly resets and reboots as soon as the first packets of code
arrive.

The Linux hosted synthetic i386 target works pretty
fine (the Insight debugger is quite impressive).

Thereafter, I tried with CygWin.

I was only able to compile the binutils
executables; I followed the instructions, unzipped the gcc and gdb (Insight)
tarballs, applied the specified patches, but the compilation aborted after some
time. In the case of insight, it seems that it misses some symbols while linking
the insight executable. The GCC compiles for some time, then stops tossing out a
lot of errors.

Then, I tried the Windows configuration tool for
ecos. I noticed, for the PC STUBS template, that the COM1 (serial line 1) is
used for both the debugger and the diagnostic output. I returned to linux,
regenerated the configuration file, edited it manually by forcing the
diagnostics to go on the PC screen. This time the target booted up and the
(still impressive !) insight debugger took control of the target, downloaded the
executable and run smoothly.

Does anyone have some instruction for building the
CygWin executables for the gcc and gdb ? Is there any new version or patche to
be applied to the tarball ?

Thank you

Ciao

Paolo
Marini

* Re: [ECOS] Ecos on an  i386 PC target
@ 2000-07-27 17:53 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-07-27 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Marini; +Cc: ecos-discuss, Nick Garnett

> Paolo Marini wrote:
[ building for i386 pc ]
> Then, I tried the Windows configuration tool for ecos. I noticed, for the
> PC STUBS template, that the COM1 (serial line 1) is used for both the
> debugger and the diagnostic output. I returned to linux, regenerated the
> configuration file, edited it manually by forcing the diagnostics to go
> on the PC screen. This time the target booted up and the (still
> impressive !) insight debugger took control of the target, downloaded the
> executable and run smoothly.

True. This is one of those strange situations where I don't see how this
worked before! Nick, any ideas?

> Does anyone have some instruction for building the CygWin executables for
> the gcc and gdb ? Is there any new version or patche to be applied to the
> tarball ?

What errors were you seeing?

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Ecos on an  i386 PC target
@ 2000-07-28  2:41   ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2000-07-28  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: Paolo Marini, ecos-discuss

Jonathan Larmour <jlarmour@redhat.com> writes:

> > Paolo Marini wrote:
> [ building for i386 pc ]
> > Then, I tried the Windows configuration tool for ecos. I noticed, for the
> > PC STUBS template, that the COM1 (serial line 1) is used for both the
> > debugger and the diagnostic output. I returned to linux, regenerated the
> > configuration file, edited it manually by forcing the diagnostics to go
> > on the PC screen. This time the target booted up and the (still
> > impressive !) insight debugger took control of the target, downloaded the
> > executable and run smoothly.
>
> True. This is one of those strange situations where I don't see how this
> worked before! Nick, any ideas?

I am obviously missing something here. Why wouldn't this work? Sending
diagnostics to the debug channel as O packets is the standard
mechanism for nearly all platforms. Or are we talking about emitting
diagnostic messages from the floppy stub program itself?  If this is
the case, where are these coming from? Such messages could very easily
confuse GDB.

--
Nick Garnett, eCos Kernel Architect
Red Hat, Cambridge, UK