From: Hugo 'NOx' Tyson <hmt@cygnus.co.ukx>
To: ecos-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: Re: [ECOS] connect() to machine outside local network
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 08:45:00 -0000	[thread overview]

andrew.lunn@ascom.ch (Andrew Lunn) writes:
> > This is if it's statically configured, right?  You're right, that makes
> > perfect sense, I'll see to it.  BTW, full DHCP coming real soon...
>
> When DHCP will be added will you re-evaluate the way you bring
> interfaces up.

> Its currently a bit messy if you want to pass your own addresses in the
> bootp record. The function build_bootp_record() is not exported either.

It is now. ;-)  But the bootp record is published and RFC'd structure, you
can initialize it however you like.

> Also when you added loopback devices i was not
> configuring them since you added init_loopback_interface() to
> init_all_network_interfaces() which did't need to call when using
> dynamic addresses.

So, if you're not using init_all_network_interfaces(), then your code must
do all the work, including calling init_loopback_interface() if you want
one.  Ah, but init_loopback_interface() is not exported, that's what you
mean.  OK, I'll do that too.  It's exported.

So now network.h describes the simplest way to get the network going
according to your configuration.  bootp.h describes the alternatives,
ie. the way to do it "by hand" if you have some way outside of
init_all_network_interfaces() that you want to use.  And if you want
something different again, use the ioctl() API directly.

	- Huge