From: FSF General Contact Address <info@fsf.org>
To: ecos-maintainers@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: [gnu.org #25869] eCos as an FSF project?
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 19:57:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 11:03:23AM -0500, Jonathan Larmour via RT wrote:
> On behalf of the eCos maintainers, I would like to express our interest in
> possibly becoming an FSF project.

Dear Jonathan, and the rest of the eCos team,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us with your questions about Free
Software Foundation's possible support for the eCos project.  We appreciate
the wonderful contribution your works provides to the free software
community, and would be happy to assist you in what ways we can.

Historically, FSF has accepted copyright for those programs which become
part of the GNU project.  This is not because of any legal restrictions or
obligations on us; it is simply how things have gone.  We would like to
know, however, if you would be willing to consider making eCos part of the
GNU project.

Becoming a GNU project means that the project developers agree to GNU
policies.  These are listed at <http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain_toc.html>.
They are the full requirements; beyond what is listed there, the developers
have full autonomy over the program's development.

It would not be problematic for Red Hat to hold copyright alongside FSF.

I believe the addresses all your questions and concerns.  Let me know what
you think about having eCos be part of the GNU project, and we will work
from there.  Of course, if you have further questions about what it means
to be a GNU program, or about copyright assignment, please feel free to
contact me.

Best regards,

--
Brett Smith, Free Software Foundation