* Write access to CVS via ssh+cvs
@ 2012-03-05 15:38 Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2012-03-05 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-maintainers

Disclaimer: its been many, many years since I really used CVS, and
I've never used a remote server except for anonymous checkouts.

I'm trying to set up ssh+cvs access following the instructions I got
from root@sourceware.org, but I get this:

  $ export CVS_RSH=ssh
  $ cvs -z9 -d :ext:grante@sourceware.org:/cvs/ecos co ecos
  Permission denied (publickey).
  cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)

I don't recall ever setting up a public key, so I tried that:

  $ ssh sourceware.org appendkey < id_rsa.pub
  Permission denied (publickey).

I'm not sure what to do next.  How do you set up a public key without
having already set up a public key?

--
Grant

* Re: Write access to CVS via ssh+cvs
@ 2012-03-05 16:41 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2012-03-05 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: ecos-maintainers

On 05/03/12 15:37, Grant Edwards wrote:

>   $ export CVS_RSH=ssh
>   $ cvs -z9 -d :ext:grante@sourceware.org:/cvs/ecos co ecos

That's fine.

> I don't recall ever setting up a public key, so I tried that:
>
>   $ ssh sourceware.org appendkey < id_rsa.pub
>   Permission denied (publickey).
>
> I'm not sure what to do next.  How do you set up a public key without
> having already set up a public key?

Yes you wouldn't be able to use appendkey unless you've already got an
existing working key.

Here is the public key that is set up in your account. Does this help you
identify where it came from? If not, then you can send me (directly) a new
public key and I'll install it.

Jifl

ssh-dss
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
grante@aleph:

* Re: Write access to CVS via ssh+cvs
@ 2012-03-05 17:38   ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2012-03-05 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-maintainers

On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 04:41:09PM +0000, Jonathan Larmour wrote:

>> I don't recall ever setting up a public key, so I tried that:
>>
>>   $ ssh sourceware.org appendkey < id_rsa.pub
>>   Permission denied (publickey).
>>
>> I'm not sure what to do next.  How do you set up a public key without
>> having already set up a public key?
>
> Yes you wouldn't be able to use appendkey unless you've already got
> an existing working key.
>
> Here is the public key that is set up in your account. Does this help you
> identify where it came from?

Ah yes -- it hadn't occurred to me that I would have set up access for
that machine.  I did an appendkey from that machine to add my other
public key, and everything's working as expected now.

Thanks!

--
Grant