From: Jonathan Larmour <jifl@eCosCentric.com>
To: Jani Monoses <jani@iv.ro>
Cc: ecos-maintainers@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: [RFC] lwip officially in ecos?
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 15:16:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Jani Monoses wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 15:13:39 +0100
> Jonathan Larmour <jifl@eCosCentric.com> wrote:
>

>>Jani Monoses wrote:
>>
>>>Hello all
>>>
>>>I'd like to ask the maintainers' opinion on putting lwIP in ecos
>>>CVS. I'm prepared to do all the legwork if the answer is positive.
>>>lwIP is BSD-licensed and almost 'well-established' as the patch
>>>submission doc requests. Although I intend to sign a copyright
>>>assignment for other future contributions to ecos, IMO lwip is
>>>unaffected because it is a separate BSD project but more importantly
>>>because my contributions to it are minimal and quite a few people
>>>worked on it (not as many as on the BSD stack or microwindows but
>>>still)
>>
>>I'm all for it. I do agree it is well-established enough to waive the
>>assignment for lwip itself. Of course changes to things outside of the
>>lwIP package itself may be a different story.
>

> The only changes outside the package are to io/eth/lwip which is already
> in ecos.

An assignment for that would be desirable. Would you be prepared to assign
to me personally? You may have noticed that the maintainers (save Mark
:-)) have not got assignments to Red Hat - we have a mutual agreement to
assign to the FSF when that gets finalised (still not done, I'm afraid).
If you assigned to one of us, then we can check it in with our copyright,
not Red Hat's, and that will become the FSF's later.

> A couple of clarifications about the submission:
> - files in lwip have a BSD copyright text. I suppose there's no need to
> add the ecos copyrigth text in each of them right?

Personally I think it would be desirable. The EPK generation script talked
about with Andrew could add this as an automated step. This is simply out
of the general principle of changes to eCos requiring people to distribute
those changes.

> - should I send a gzipped patch to ecos-patches or post a link to an EPK
> (~200K)?

Either is fine.

Jifl