From: Alex Schuilenburg <alexs@ecoscentric.com>
To: Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch>
Cc: eCos Maintainers <ecos-maintainers@ecos.sourceware.org>
Subject: Re: [ECOS] Status of eCos copyright assignments to the FSF?
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 00:35:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Andrew Lunn wrote:
[...]
>>We are still waiting for RedHat to make good on their promise to
>>assign there parts of eCos to the FSF. It is nearly a year since they
>>made their press release about doing this.....
>

> Hi Jifl
>
> I think its about time we officialy told RedHat about our counter
> press release we will make on 13th Jan 2005. We should give them a
> fair chance to actually make the transfer. I expect they unofficially
> know what is coming, i expect somebody in Redhat is reading
> ecos-maintainers and has seen the discussion we had at the beginning
> of the month. So two weeks notice does not seem too unreasonable.
>
>         Andrew

I honestly do not believe that threatening Red Hat with bad press will
achieve anything other than annoy them and strongly urge the maintainers
to reconsider this course of action. You do not know their reasons for
the delay and Red Hat have flip-flopped and suffered far worse press
than this. You need Red Hat on your side and this is not the way to go
about it.

Since email contact with Red Hat legal has so far failed, and jifl has
failed to get hold of them via telephone, both Paul and I are happy to
engage Red Hat legal once again to pursue this matter with the
maintainers blessing.

Failing that, I suggest that you rather draft an open letter (sent
registered) to both Red Hat and the FSF and formally ask them about the
status of Red Hat's transfer and to set a date so that the copyrights
held privately by the maintainers and by eCosCentric can simultaneously
be transferred with Red Hat's copyright to the FSF. Knowing Red Hat and
the FSF, two months out is a more realistic date than two weeks (which
can easily catch the relevant person on vacation).

-- Alex

Managing Director / CEO                              eCosCentric Limited
http://www.ecoscentric.com/                 The eCos and RedBoot experts