From: Jonathan Larmour <jifl@jifvik.org>
To: francisco@dico.unimi.it
Cc: ecos-maintainers@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: Support query
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 12:08:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Francisco Peralta Aguaron wrote:
> Hi,
>  I have a question about eCos export restrictions and ECC Number classification.
>  Is there some CCATS classification for the eCos operating system?

In reference to the operating system itself, I believe it is exempt.
http://www.access.gpo.gov/bis/ear/txt/774_sup2.txt grants a general
exception for mass market software. In any case there is no category on the
Commerce Control List that eCos (at least in its form as distributed from
ecos.sourceware.org) could fall into. Of course that may not be true for
any product eCos is placed in, but that's your own responsibility.

The closest you get is ECCN 4D003 (see
<http://www.access.gpo.gov/bis/ear/txt/ccl4.txt> but eCos is not
*specially* designed for "multi-data-stream processing" equipment so I
cannot see that applying.

Therefore the ECCN should be EAR99. Note there are still controls on
exports to certain countries.

I suggest reading
http://www.bis.doc.gov/Licensing/exportingbasics.htm

I am not a lawyer. Do not take what I wrote above as any form of advice or
recommendation - complying with your local laws are your own responsibility.

Jifl