From: Jonathan Larmour <jifl@jifvik.org>
To: Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
Cc: eCos Maintainers <ecos-maintainers@ecos.sourceware.org>
Subject: Re: Deprecating eCos 2.0
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 15:03:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Gary Thomas wrote:
> Can we make the automated download tool (ecos-install.tcl) use
> a CVS snapshot instead of the old 2.0?  It would solve so many
> "I'm using 2.0 ..." issues if this was the default.
>
> Note: I don't care if it still downloads the old tools (which
> are also labeled 2.0) as for the most part, they don't get
> in the way.

It's certainly possible. Not a great message in one sense, but it would do
the job for now. Despite not much in the way of QA, it's arguably less
relevant to commend 2.0.

But if we did, it would still want a version number distinct from true CVS,
i.e. instead of "current" for packages. Perhaps something like 2.1a-cvs or
2.1a-interim? We'd also need a doc rebuild to make sense. Similarly what
about the prebuilt configtool and ecosconfig? The only prebuilt versions
that work with cygwin are on ecoscentric's site.

So even a quicky respin isn't quite trivial but it wouldn't take long. Not
something to announce with a fanfare though.

Jifl