* Assignment query
@ 2007-06-25 13:10 Rutger Hofman
From: Rutger Hofman @ 2007-06-25 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-maintainers

Good afternoon,

I would like to feed a patch back to eCos. I doubt it is small enough to
go without a copyright assignment form, so I contacted our officials.
Their reaction is, that they are in principle willing to assign the
copyright to eCos, but they prefer to change the second paragraph of the
Assignment from:

"<INSERT COMPANY NAME> affirms that it has no other intellectual
property interest that would undermine this release, or the use of eCos,
and will do nothing to undermine it in the future."

into:

"<INSERT COMPANY NAME> affirms that it will not assert any of its
Intellectual property in a way that would undermine this release, or the
use of eCos."

Would this be OK with eCos?

Rutger Hofman
VU Amsterdam

* Re: Assignment query
@ 2007-07-05 13:07 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2007-07-05 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rutger Hofman; +Cc: ecos-maintainers

Rutger Hofman wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> I would like to feed a patch back to eCos. I doubt it is small enough to
> go without a copyright assignment form, so I contacted our officials.
> Their reaction is, that they are in principle willing to assign the
> copyright to eCos, but they prefer to change the second paragraph of the
> Assignment from:
>
> "<INSERT COMPANY NAME> affirms that it has no other intellectual
> property interest that would undermine this release, or the use of eCos,
> and will do nothing to undermine it in the future."
>
> into:
>
> "<INSERT COMPANY NAME> affirms that it will not assert any of its
> Intellectual property in a way that would undermine this release, or the
> use of eCos."
>
> Would this be OK with eCos?

I have discussed this with people, and thought about it myself a bit, and I
don't feel comfortable with the suggested wording as it stands. At a
minimum it would require the substitution to really be:

"<INSERT COMPANY NAME> affirms that it will not assert any of its
intellectual property in a way that would undermine this release, or the
use of eCos; and will not do so now nor in the future."

But I think I would prefer some understanding of what the reasoning is. Not
least because this wording would only cover a single assignment, and the
company would have to sign further disclaimers for further assignments.
This isn't our preferred practice, although it's not mandatory. Maybe
explicit assignments each time are a preferred course of action for your
company anyway. If you would prefer to mail me directly, if there are
matters that can only be disclosed in confidence, that's fine (the
ecos-maintainers list is a closed list but publically archived).

Jifl

* Re: Assignment query
@ 2006-01-12 15:41 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2006-01-12 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chase, Thomas; +Cc: 'ecos-maintainers@ecos.sourceware.org'

Chase, Thomas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am in the process of doing a copyright assignment.  I have the company
> disclaimer taken care of, and am wondering if I can use something similar to
> what I have attached to cover the individual writers.  I am trying to avoid
> sending multiple assignments to cover the work that we have done and will do
> in the future.  So instead of multiple copies of the individual assignment
> (one for each of the people that have participated in a port) can I send
> something like:
[snip]

As long as DTC Communications _is_ the copyright holder of the works in
question (usually due to a clause in the employee's employment contract)
then that should be fine. Thanks.

Jifl

* Assignment query
@ 2006-01-09 15:35 Chase, Thomas
From: Chase, Thomas @ 2006-01-09 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'ecos-maintainers@ecos.sourceware.org'

Hi,

I am in the process of doing a copyright assignment.  I have the company
disclaimer taken care of, and am wondering if I can use something similar to
what I have attached to cover the individual writers.  I am trying to avoid
sending multiple assignments to cover the work that we have done and will do
in the future.  So instead of multiple copies of the individual assignment
(one for each of the people that have participated in a port) can I send
something like:  (Please ignore the Red Hat name I will use the latest form
- this example is a couple of years old...)

eCos ASSIGNMENT

	For good and valuable consideration, receipt of which I acknowledge,
DTC Communications, Inc. ("DTC"), hereby transfers to Red Hat, Inc. its
entire right, title, and interest (including all rights under copyright) in
its changes and enhancements to the eCos Operating System and associated
software (herein called the "Software"), subject to the conditions below.
These changes and enhancements are herein called the "Work". The Work also
includes any future changes and enhancements to the Software hereafter made
by DTC, which are also hereby assigned.

	Upon thirty days prior written notice, Red Hat agrees to grant DTC
non-exclusive rights to use the Work (i.e. just its changes and
enhancements, not eCos as a whole) as DTC sees fit; (and Red Hat's rights
shall otherwise continue unchanged).

	DTC hereby agrees that if it has or acquires hereafter any patent or
interface copyright or other intellectual property interest dominating the
software enhanced by the Work (or use of that software), such dominating
interest will not be used to undermine the effect of this assignment, i.e.
Red Hat and the general public will be licensed to use, in that program and
its derivative works, without royalty or limitation, the subject matter of
the dominating interest. This license provision will be binding on DTC's
heirs, assignees, or other successors to the dominating interest, as well as
on DTC.

	DTC hereby represents and warrants that it is the sole copyright
holder for the Work and that it has the right and power to enter into this
contract.  DTC makes no other express or implied warranty (including without
limitation, in this disclaimer of warranty, any warranty of MERCHANTABILITY
or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE).

Agreed:

For DTC Communications				For eCoscentric:

Date:						Date:

[Please print your name here]
DTC Communications, Inc

[For the copyright registration, what country are you a citizen of?]
USA

[What year were you born?]
DTC was incorporated in ????.

[Please write your email address here]
Eric_Pauer@dtccom.com

[Please write your address here, so we can mail a signed copy of the
agreement back to you]
DTC Communications, Inc.
ATTN: Eric Pauer
486 Amherst Street
Nashua, NH 03063

[Please write a brief description of the contribution]
This contribution consists of OMAP variant ports and associated platform HAL
ports and device drivers.

[Which files have you changed so far, and which new files have you written
so far?]
None

Thanks!

Tom Chase
Software Engineering Manager
DTC Communications, Inc.
486 Amherst Street, Nashua NH  03063-1224
Phone:  (603) 546-2128
Fax:  (603) 880-6965
Email: tomc@dtccom.com

This communication is from DTC Communications, Inc. and is intended to be
confidential and solely for the use of the persons or entities addressed
above.  If you are not an intended recipient, be aware that the information
contained herein may be protected from unauthorized use by privilege or law,
and any copying, distribution, disclosure, or other use of this information
is prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please
contact the sender by return e-mail or telephone the above number
immediately and delete or destroy all copies.  Thank you for your
cooperation.

* RE: Assignment query
@ 2004-08-27 16:47 Kumar, Vivek
From: Kumar, Vivek @ 2004-08-27 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Alex Schuilenburg', Andrew Lunn; +Cc: Vivek Kumar, ecos-maintainers

thanks guys, will try to push them for normal paperwork

-vivek

_____________________
Confidentiality note: This email and any attachments may contain private, confidential, and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

* Re: Assignment query
@ 2004-08-27 12:25   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2004-08-27 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: Kumar, Vivek, Vivek Kumar, ecos-maintainers

Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 04:03:03PM -0700, Kumar, Vivek wrote:
>
>>Hi Andrew,
>>
>>After some negotiation and emails it seems that the management is ok with me
>>putting my flash driver code in open source. I talked to my manager and he
>>said the email from them saying "Go Ahead With This" (Attached) will
>>suffice. Do I still need to get more stuff from them.
>

> Jifl should give the final word on this, but i would prefer it if the
> company signed the normal paperwork.

I know it's a hassle, but yes they should.

>>Also I was thinking if I rewrite the drivers at home from scratch, can I put
>>them in open source. Is there a standard letter I can send the management
>>saying I am working from home on something similar and if they are OK with
>>that.
>

> You should check your contract. Some contracts say that everything you
> do is theres, no matter if you do it at work or at home. Since we
> don't know what your contract says, we prefer to have an agreement
> from your employer anyway, just to be safe.

Exactly so. Most importantly we need it in writing. The legal status of
electronic (or for that matter fax) communication varies between countries.
Having a signature on a piece of paper is the only thing that counts
universally.

Vivek, you'll find the forms at <http://ecos.sourceware.org/assign.html>,
all you need to do is fill them in yourself, but get someone in authority
from Zeevo to sign the copyright disclaimer. That signature is all you need
from them.

Jifl

* Re: Assignment query
@ 2004-08-27 10:20   ` Alex Schuilenburg
From: Alex Schuilenburg @ 2004-08-27 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: Kumar, Vivek, Vivek Kumar, ecos-maintainers

Andrew Lunn wrote:
  > On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 04:03:03PM -0700, Kumar, Vivek wrote:
>
>>Hi Andrew,
>>
>>After some negotiation and emails it seems that the management is ok with me
>>putting my flash driver code in open source. I talked to my manager and he
>>said the email from them saying "Go Ahead With This" (Attached) will
>>suffice. Do I still need to get more stuff from them.
>

> Jifl should give the final word on this, but i would prefer it if the
> company signed the normal paperwork.

Certainly from eCosCentric's POV, we cannot accept contribution
assignments without the normal paperwork.  Red Hat will be the same
otherwise they, like us, would have accepted contribution assignments
via email long time ago.

-- Alex

>>Also I was thinking if I rewrite the drivers at home from scratch, can I put
>>them in open source. Is there a standard letter I can send the management
>>saying I am working from home on something similar and if they are OK with
>>that.
>

> You should check your contract. Some contracts say that everything you
> do is theres, no matter if you do it at work or at home. Since we
> don't know what your contract says, we prefer to have an agreement
> from your employer anyway, just to be safe.
>
>      Andrew

* Re: Assignment query
@ 2004-08-27  6:56 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2004-08-27  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kumar, Vivek; +Cc: 'Andrew Lunn', Vivek Kumar, ecos-maintainers

@ 2004-08-26 23:03 Kumar, Vivek
From: Kumar, Vivek @ 2004-08-26 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Andrew Lunn', Vivek Kumar; +Cc: ecos-maintainers

_____________________
Confidentiality note: This email and any attachments may contain private, confidential, and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

[-- Attachment #2: RE: --]
[-- Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1403 bytes --]

From: "Pandula, Louis" <Louis.Pandula@Zeevo.com>
To: "Kumar, Vivek" <Vivek.Kumar@Zeevo.com>, "Patel, Dharmesh" <Dharmesh.Patel@Zeevo.com>
Subject: RE:
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:25:26 -0700