* Re: Configtool viewer selection
       [not found] <4959F5B7.2060200@dallaway.org.uk>
@ 2009-01-02  1:07 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2009-01-02  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Dallaway; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

John Dallaway wrote:
> This patch allows for the selection of text viewer and HTML viewer
> executables under Linux. Checked-in.

Be careful here. Now that you've left eCosCentric, you do not have a valid
copyright assignment in place with the FSF - you are no longer covered by
the company one. As it happens, both the patches of the 30th probably both
sneak under the "is a copyrightable work" bar... the first because it's
small, and the second because it's essentially the same thing repeated a
lot, although it's definitely thin ice.

Please get an assignment sorted out ASAP before any further patches. It's
probably worth including the files in these patches in the part of the
assignment which lists modifications to existing files, just in case.

Jifl

* Re: Configtool viewer selection
@ 2009-01-02  1:34   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2009-01-02  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Dallaway; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> John Dallaway wrote:
>
>> This patch allows for the selection of text viewer and HTML viewer
>> executables under Linux. Checked-in.
>

> Be careful here. Now that you've left eCosCentric, you do not have a
> valid copyright assignment in place with the FSF - you are no longer
> covered by the company one. As it happens, both the patches of the 30th
> probably both sneak under the "is a copyrightable work" bar... the first
> because it's small, and the second because it's essentially the same
> thing repeated a lot, although it's definitely thin ice.
>
> Please get an assignment sorted out ASAP before any further patches.
> It's probably worth including the files in these patches in the part of
> the assignment which lists modifications to existing files, just in case.

I'll also mention here incidentally that there are a number of files which
claim Copyright (C) 2003 John Dallaway 2003. Since you were employed by
eCosCentric at that point, eCosCentric's assignment would apply, although
in that case it's not quite clear to me why you put your own (C) on there.
But if there is any doubt about that (although I don't think there can be
any really), ensure those are included in the FSF assignment as other
modified files. The files are:

host/tools/configtool/standalone/common/ecosconfig.cxx
host/tools/configtool/standalone/common/cdl_exec.cxx
host/tools/configtool/standalone/wxwin/admindlg.cpp
host/tools/configtool/standalone/wxwin/appsettings.cpp
host/tools/configtool/standalone/wxwin/appsettings.h
host/tools/configtool/standalone/wxwin/platformeditordlg.cpp
host/tools/configtool/standalone/wxwin/configtool.cpp
host/tools/configtool/standalone/wxwin/configtooldoc.cpp
host/tools/configtool/standalone/wxwin/docsystem.cpp
host/tools/configtool/standalone/wxwin/ecutils.cpp
host/tools/configtool/standalone/wxwin/ecutils.h
host/tools/configtool/standalone/wxwin/filename.cpp
host/tools/configtool/standalone/wxwin/mainwin.cpp
host/tools/configtool/standalone/wxwin/mainwin.cpp
host/tools/configtool/standalone/wxwin/makefile.gnu
host/tools/configtool/standalone/wxwin/packagesdlg.cpp
host/tools/configtool/standalone/wxwin/symbols.h
host/tools/ecostest/common/eCosTestPlatform.cpp
packages/ecosadmin.tcl

No need to update the files themselves - I'll do that in the Grand Header
Munge.

Jifl

* Copyright assignments [ was Re: Configtool viewer selection ]
@ 2009-01-02 18:06     ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2009-01-02 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-maintainers

Hi Jifl

Jonathan Larmour wrote:

> Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>
>> John Dallaway wrote:
>>
>>> This patch allows for the selection of text viewer and HTML viewer
>>> executables under Linux. Checked-in.
>>
>> Be careful here. Now that you've left eCosCentric, you do not have a
>> valid copyright assignment in place with the FSF - you are no longer
>> covered by the company one. As it happens, both the patches of the
>> 30th probably both sneak under the "is a copyrightable work" bar...
>> the first because it's small, and the second because it's essentially
>> the same thing repeated a lot, although it's definitely thin ice.

I agree that there's nothing copyrightable in those patches. I will get
the copyright assignment sorted out anyway.

> I'll also mention here incidentally that there are a number of files
> which claim Copyright (C) 2003 John Dallaway 2003.

There are also personal copyright notices for Nick, Bart and yourself in
the repository. All these copyright notices date from the months
preceding our employment with eCosCentric. eg configtooldoc.cpp rev 1.13
of 2003-02-13. For avoidance of doubt, copyright in my own changes will
be assigned to the FSF.

> No need to update the files themselves - I'll do that in the Grand
> Header Munge.

Is this still imminent? Please confirm.

John Dallaway