* Repository copyrights updated
@ 2009-01-29 17:49 Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2009-01-29 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Maintainers, eCos discussion

As promised, I have now (finally!) finished updating the copyrights on all
files. Please let me know about any problems or anomalies. I've looked over
lots of it, but can't guarantee to have found everything.

To the maintainers: the trunk is still temporarily frozen until Bart
completes his changes.

Some things of note:

1) your next 'cvs update' will take forever. There are 22MBytes of changes,
with essentially every file changed. It may well be faster to start with a
new checkout (i.e. 'cvs co' to a new direcotry) if you haven't any local
changes.

2) I have slightly clarified the licence text, e.g. the BSDLICENCE
previously said:
// Portions of this software may have been derived from OpenBSD or other
// sources, and are covered by the appropriate copyright disclaimers
// included herein.

and now says e.g.:
// -------------------------------------------
// This file is part of eCos, the Embedded Configurable Operating System.
//
// Portions of this software may have been derived from FreeBSD
// or other sources, and if so are covered by the appropriate copyright
// and license included herein.
//
// Portions created by the Free Software Foundation are
// Copyright (C) 2002, 2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

(note that the net stack mentioned has been worked out appropriately).

I have also improved formatting including line lengths in some cases. The
FSF address has changed too.

3) Distinct licence blocks are better marked with an appropriate
fooCOPYRIGHTBEGIN marker.

Maintainers and contributors: please ensure consistency with existing
formats. Do not make up your own. Anything between
COPYRIGHTBEGIN/COPYRIGHTEND markers is allowed to be replaced in future.
Just like they were now.

4) ChangeLogs are now GPL'd. The eCos exception made no sense.

5) I have updated the RedBoot version string to comply with section 2(c) of
the GPL.

6) I have _not_ done anything to make the copyright years more accurate.
This was a can of worms. The copyright years are the same as before (but
now FSF). In future all contributions must make sure that they contain
correct copyright years. Modifications to existing files must update the
copyright year with the current year. Contributors should make sure they do
this in any submitted patch.

Maintainers, please get into the habit of checking that whenever you check
in a file, you check whether the copyright year of all modified files
includes the current year.

7) There are a vast number of other licence related fixes in individual
files. I daren't count the number of special cases there have been, but
there's a lot.  Again in future, please be consistent with existing
formatting. There are no prizes for doing your own thing.

After the trunk is unfrozen, there will be a short time to commit anything
important, and then I will cut a branch for the eCos 3.0 release and then I
will create a first release candidate - there will probably/hopefully only
be one.

Jifl
------["Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere"]------       Opinions==mine

* Re: Repository copyrights updated
@ 2009-01-29 22:40 ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2009-01-29 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-maintainers

Hi Jifl

Jonathan Larmour wrote:

> As promised, I have now (finally!) finished updating the copyrights on all
> files. Please let me know about any problems or anomalies. I've looked over
> lots of it, but can't guarantee to have found everything.

Great news! Thanks for all your effort on this.

> After the trunk is unfrozen, there will be a short time to commit anything
> important

It will certainly be worthwhile fixing up the SH3 .ldi files before the
branch is cut. There is also a problem with linking the cxxsupp test for
ARM targets which are still using arm-elf-gcc 3.2.1.

> and then I will cut a branch for the eCos 3.0 release and then I
> will create a first release candidate - there will probably/hopefully only
> be one.

Are you referring to the repository tagging? For avoidance of doubt, I
will be generating the actual releases. I have everything set up for
this on my release machines. Hence my earlier request for shell access
to sourceware.org for uploading of the releases.

John Dallaway

* Re: Repository copyrights updated
@ 2009-01-30  1:21   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2009-01-30  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Dallaway; +Cc: ecos-maintainers

John Dallaway wrote:

>>After the trunk is unfrozen, there will be a short time to commit anything
>>important
>
> It will certainly be worthwhile fixing up the SH3 .ldi files before the
> branch is cut. There is also a problem with linking the cxxsupp test for
> ARM targets which are still using arm-elf-gcc 3.2.1.

I also have a note of a number of other issues, such as i386 and mips
linking, and a m68k compiler problem which may result in a workaround in
the sources, off the top of my head (I'm sure there are others). Not that
everything is frozen in the branch before it's cut of course, but it's
helpful to avoid double commits. As well as patches, I will also be
working on website updates as one of my highest priorities. There's a lot
I need to do there, although that's aimed more at the final than the
release candidate of course.

Although an unstated assumption I want to make explicit is that I want the
  eCos 3.0 release to be shoved out without _too_ much angst about what
needs to go in - people coming up with last minute contribs of new ports
they want to go in for example shouldn't hold up the process. Let's just
get it out there, because once it is, things will become easier and we can
start thinking about consolidating stuff (and switching VCS, and
etc.etc.), and are more likely to get assistance from the community in
doing so.

>>and then I will cut a branch for the eCos 3.0 release and then I
>>will create a first release candidate - there will probably/hopefully only
>>be one.
>

> Are you referring to the repository tagging? For avoidance of doubt, I
> will be generating the actual releases.

Sorry, I didn't know you had made scripts for generating releases. As you
know, eCosCentric aren't in a position to check-in ours, so I think it
would be good if you could check in yours (any time after code thaw) for
future release reproduction - I recommend a "release" module (not under
ecos, but as a separate CVS module). And of course once your assignment is
executed. Have you heard anything? I haven't been notified (yet).

I would prefer to choose the timing of the repo tag'n'branch myself, in
which case I may as well actually do it (and let you know at that point).

> I have everything set up for
> this on my release machines. Hence my earlier request for shell access
> to sourceware.org for uploading of the releases.

FAOD, the maintainers as a group need to be happy with the state of the
release before it goes up for download.

NB I have added the version '3.0rc1' to bugzilla. The b suffix used for
2.0 confused people if you remember, and that seems to be the most common
nomenclature now anyway.

Jifl