* Countdown to eCos 3.0 beta 1
@ 2009-02-13 14:16 John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2009-02-13 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-maintainers

eCos maintainers

eCos is now looking in good shape for a beta release. Jifl will be
reviewing the repository over the coming weekend and also addressing the
issue with building the cxxsupp test using the older arm-elf toolchain.
Assuming no showstoppers are identified, I will generate the beta 1
release next week.

If you are aware of any small, non-invasive patches which you think
really should be a part of eCos 3.0, this is your last chance to check
them in before the release branch is cut.

I am attaching a draft version of the eCos 3.0 beta 1 release notes.
Your comments, additions and clarifications are very welcome.

John Dallaway
eCos 3.0 release manager

[-- Attachment #2: README-draft-090213.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 5049 bytes --]

[ Pre-release version 2009-02-13 - NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION ]

eCos - the Embedded Configurable Operating System - release 3.0 beta 1 README

February 2009

Welcome to the eCos 3.0 beta 1 public release. This beta release is intended
only for eCos community testing prior to the release of eCos 3.0. Please use
the eCos 3.0 release if available.

This README contains a list of known problems with the eCos 3.0 beta 1
release. Please check for further issues by searching the Bugzilla database
for product "eCos" version "3.0beta1":

  http://bugs.ecos.sourceware.org/query.cgi

If you discover new bugs with this release please report them using Bugzilla:

  http://bugs.ecos.sourceware.org/enter_bug.cgi

System Requirements
-------------------

This release has been tested against Microsoft Windows 2000, Windows XP,
Windows Vista and multiple x86 Linux distributions. Microsoft Windows 95,
Windows 98 and Windows ME are not supported.

The Linux-hosted eCos development tools require libstdc++ v3
(/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5). Users of Linux distributions which provide a more
recent libstdc++ may need to install a libstdc++ v3 compatibility package.
Installation of the compatibility package may be achieved as follows:

  Fedora:       yum install compat-libstdc++-33
  openSUSE:     zypper install compat-libstdc++
  Ubuntu:       apt-get install libstdc++5

The Linux-hosted eCos Configuration Tool also requires the GTK+ toolkit
version 2.0 or later.

The Microsoft Windows-hosted eCos development tools require a recent
installation of the Cygwin compatibility layer and associated command-line
tools. The Cygwin setup program (installer) may be downloaded at:

  http://www.cygwin.com

An installation of these tools dating from September 2008 or later is
recommended. In addition to the packages provided within the "Base" category
of the Cygwin installer, the following packages must be installed for correct
operation of the eCos installer, eCos host tools, GNU compilation tools and
eCos build system:

  gcc libmpfr1 libpng12 make patch tcltk sharutils wget

eCos 3.0 beta 1 Errata
----------------------

* Compilation of eCos has been tested for those targets which use the
following GNU toolchains:

  arm-eabi arm-elf i386-elf mipsisa32-elf m68k-elf powerpc-eabi sh-elf

Compilation of eCos for targets using other toolchains is untested and may
not work correctly.

* The pre-built arm-eabi toolchain does not support ARM7DI and StrongARM
processors. When building eCos for such targets, developers are advised to use
the older arm-elf toolchain based on GCC 3.2.1.

* Occasional internal compiler errors have been observed when building eCos
and tests with the prebuilt m68k-elf toolchain. Such errors are highly
sensitive to any changes in the source code. In many cases, the compiler
optimisation level may be reduced as a workaround. However, note that
building the kernel file clock.cxx without optimisation when configured with
CYGDBG_USE_ASSERTS will also trigger an internal compiler error. In such
cases, removal of the the compiler flag '-fomit-frame-pointer' may serve as a
workaround.

* The cxxsupp test fails for target 'linux' (the synthetic target) on certain
recent Linux distributions (eg Fedora 10). This failure arises when libgcc
assumes that glibc has initialised the GS register to reference per-thread
data.

* Compilation of eCos for targets 'atlas_mips64_5kc' and 'malta_mips64_5kc'
fails due to various errors involving a loss of precision while casting.

* Compilation of eCos for targets 'cma28x' and 'fads' fails due to a
dependency of CYGPKG_HAL_POWERPC_MPC8xx on CYGPKG_HAL_QUICC.

* Compilation of eCos for target 'iq80310' fails due to multiple coding
issues within the platform support files.

* The eCos tests 'pselect' and 'cpuload' may fail erroneously on some eCos
targets (false negative).

* The eCos tests 'except1' and 'kexcept1' may fail on certain processors
where an exception is not raised in response to bad alignment (for example).

* The eCos uITRON compatibility layer tests 'test2', 'test7', 'testcx2' and
'testcx7' are known to fail in certain eCos configurations on all targets.
The failure of other uITRON tests has also been observed. The uITRON tests
require review.

* The MPC8xx test 'intr0' fails on many MPC8xx targets since the test is not
generalised for correct operation will all MPC8xx CPUs.

* The PSIM PowerPC simulator treats all data cache instructions as noops.
The behaviour is benign with the exception of the dcbz instruction. It causes
the eCos 'kcache2' test to fail on target 'psim'.

* There are a number of minor issues with the eCos Configuration Tool:

  84946 Configtool build progress bar inoperative
  89778 Configtool platforms list is not sorted
  1000619 Configuration tree does not respond to scroll wheel

* Re: Countdown to eCos 3.0 beta 1
@ 2009-02-15 21:34 ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2009-02-15 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-maintainers

Hi Jifl

John Dallaway wrote:

> If you are aware of any small, non-invasive patches which you think
> really should be a part of eCos 3.0, this is your last chance to check
> them in before the release branch is cut.

I'm happy to double commit any further tweaks from here on.

Assuming you're happy with the state of the repository for a beta, feel
free to cut the ecos-v3_0-branch now if you would prefer to do this
yourself...

John Dallaway