* Downloading prebuilt tools
@ 2009-02-23 13:07 Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2009-02-23 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Maintainers

Looking at the "Downloading and Installing eCos" page (aka
"Getting Started"): http://ecos.sourceware.org/getstart.html,
I see offers of a wide set of prebuilt toolchains, but no
links to help download them.  I think this would be useful to
add to the table of supported platforms.  For example (take
my case) where one has downloaded eCos for a particular environment
and now wants to test it on another, there's no clear way to
go fetch the tools...

* Re: Downloading prebuilt tools
@ 2009-02-23 13:55 ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2009-02-23 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

Hi Gary

Gary Thomas wrote:

> Looking at the "Downloading and Installing eCos" page (aka
> "Getting Started"): http://ecos.sourceware.org/getstart.html,
> I see offers of a wide set of prebuilt toolchains, but no
> links to help download them.  I think this would be useful to
> add to the table of supported platforms.  For example (take
> my case) where one has downloaded eCos for a particular environment
> and now wants to test it on another, there's no clear way to
> go fetch the tools...

I assume you're aware that the ecos-install.tcl script will fetch the
pre-built tools. To be clear, are you saying that this is not as obvious
as it should be, or that the "tools only" switch should be advertised,
or that it would be useful to have a direct link to the ftp site for
people who don't want to use the installer?

John Dallaway

* Re: Downloading prebuilt tools
@ 2009-02-23 14:09   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2009-02-23 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Dallaway; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

John Dallaway wrote:
> Hi Gary
>
> Gary Thomas wrote:
>
>> Looking at the "Downloading and Installing eCos" page (aka
>> "Getting Started"): http://ecos.sourceware.org/getstart.html,
>> I see offers of a wide set of prebuilt toolchains, but no
>> links to help download them.  I think this would be useful to
>> add to the table of supported platforms.  For example (take
>> my case) where one has downloaded eCos for a particular environment
>> and now wants to test it on another, there's no clear way to
>> go fetch the tools...
>
> I assume you're aware that the ecos-install.tcl script will fetch the
> pre-built tools. To be clear, are you saying that this is not as obvious
> as it should be, or that the "tools only" switch should be advertised,
> or that it would be useful to have a direct link to the ftp site for
> people who don't want to use the installer?

The latter.  In particular, what if someone (like me) already
has the source repository, but only wants new tools?  There's
no way to figure out where they are, other than running through
the ecos-install.tcl script.