* Bugzilla is down
@ 2009-06-12  8:57 Alex Schuilenburg
From: Alex Schuilenburg @ 2009-06-12  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-maintainers

Hi all

I have had to pull down bugzilla today unfortunately as BOTH our RAID
drives have started failing.  I have already replaced one of the drives,
but "£$%^ Linux RAID1 will not resync from a disk which has read
errors.  It simply aborts and restarts - rinse, repeat, ....

We can recover, but it is a bit of a nasty process involving shrinking
filesystems and RAID drives to below the errors so the resync can
succeed.  I will be going down to Telehouse again tonight to install the
second new hard drive, assuming the resizing etc go OK.

We can come back up as soon as the resize is complete, but I have to
move stuff around for this to happen.  I'll keep you posted.  Apologies
for the inconvenience.

-- Alex

* Re: Bugzilla is down
@ 2009-06-12 10:34 ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2009-06-12 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Schuilenburg; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

Alex

Alex Schuilenburg wrote:

> We can recover, but it is a bit of a nasty process involving shrinking
> filesystems and RAID drives to below the errors so the resync can
> succeed.  I will be going down to Telehouse again tonight to install the
> second new hard drive, assuming the resizing etc go OK.

Thanks for letting us know ... and good luck!

John Dallaway

* Bugzilla is back [Was: Bugzilla is down]
@ 2009-06-13 22:00   ` Alex Schuilenburg
From: Alex Schuilenburg @ 2009-06-13 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Maintainers

Alex Schuilenburg wrote:
> We can recover, but it is a bit of a nasty process involving shrinking
> filesystems and RAID drives to below the errors so the resync can
> succeed.  I will be going down to Telehouse again tonight to install the
> second new hard drive, assuming the resizing etc go OK.

Unfortunately this whole process took a lot longer than originally
anticipated and was finally completed this morning at 4am BST.  Bugzilla
is now back online.

FYI, things get "interesting" when you have two RAID disks that are
failing.  Unfortunately the error prevented the filesystem shrink from
succeeding and we did not have enough free space to play around with so
I manually had to resort to copying off the data onto the first new
drive built as part of a partially constructed RAID array, replace the
failing drive, reboot the system onto the first new drive and then add
2nd new drive into the array.

-- Alex