From: Alex Schuilenburg <alexs@ecoscentric.com>
To: ecos-maintainers@ecos.sourceware.org
Subject: Commercial postings on ecos-discuss etc
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 14:43:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Dear Maintainers,

I am made unclear about the policy of the maintainers to commercial
postings to eCos discuss due to the posting yesterday by John Dallaway
where I believe he is using his maintainer position to post or gather
information of a commercial nature for his company's benefit.
Previously, the guidelines stated that such postings should contain
[COMMERCIAL] in the subject to alert subscribers to the nature of the
content.

If this is not a commercial post, unfortunately his posting was not
clear as to the nature, reasoning and backing of this research. I would
be most interested to see laid open what development plans the ecos
maintainers may have for host tool development, as has been strongly
advocated in the past.  I would also enquire as to why the results are
not being made public for the benefit of the community.

However, if this is a commercial post, then I would like to ask how the
policy regarding commercial postings has changed. In addition, if John
is conducting this survey for the benefit of his company, I would like
to point out to him and you that I believe the survey does not comply
fully to either the Companies Act 2006 or the Data Protection Act 1998.

I would also like further clarification regarding netiquette and
commercial postings on ecos-discuss in this regard.

Sincerely
-- Alex Schuilenburg

Managing Director/CEO                                eCosCentric Limited
Tel:  +44 1223 245571                     Barnwell House, Barnwell Drive
Fax:  +44 1223 248712                             Cambridge, CB5 8UU, UK
www.ecoscentric.com             Reg in England and Wales, Reg No 4422071

Besuchen Sie uns vom 2-4 März auf der Embedded World 2010, Stand 11-208
Visit us at Embedded World 2010, Nürnberg-Germany, 2-4 Mar, Stand 11-208