From: Alex Schuilenburg <alexs@ecoscentric.com>
To: John Dallaway <john@dallaway.org.uk>
Cc: ecos-maintainers@ecos.sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Commercial postings on ecos-discuss etc
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 21:58:00 -0000	[thread overview]

John,

John Dallaway wrote:
> Hi Alex
>
> Alex Schuilenburg wrote:
>

>> I am made unclear about the policy of the maintainers to commercial
>> postings to eCos discuss due to the posting yesterday by John Dallaway
>> where I believe he is using his maintainer position to post or gather
>> information of a commercial nature for his company's benefit.
>>

> Perhaps I should have been clearer about my plans for this survey! My
> research arises from some blue sky thinking about how open source
> communities select and use embedded development tools. Assuming
> sufficient participation in the survey, I'm intending to write an
> article on this topic. FYI, I have requested the support of the eCos,
> FreeRTOS and RTEMS communities in the research. I have received a good
> response from all 3 communities so far.
>
> I hope this helps to allay your concerns...

My only concern is that your posting appears misleading.  You clearly
have a commercial interest in this area and have not mentioned this at
all, nor in your response. It would have been far clearer if you had
mentioned this in your original post, including what the sample base
will be, how long you are conducting the survey for, where this article
you mention is going to be published, who the intended audience of the
article is and so on. As you know, CMP conduct similar in-depth surveys
and charge interested parties for their articles.  Are you intending to
do the same?

-- Alex Schuilenburg

Managing Director/CEO                                eCosCentric Limited
Tel:  +44 1223 245571                     Barnwell House, Barnwell Drive
Fax:  +44 1223 248712                             Cambridge, CB5 8UU, UK
www.ecoscentric.com             Reg in England and Wales, Reg No 4422071