From: Jonathan Larmour <jifl@jifvik.org>
To: Ferenc Cserepkei <csfera@gmail.com>
Cc: ecos-maintainers@ecos.sourceware.org
Subject: Re: eCos infrastucture howto
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 15:12:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 03/04/12 15:06, Ferenc Cserepkei wrote:
> Welcome,
> might be I am contacing the wrong guys, but readion both ecoscentric
> and ecos public documentation i failed to figure out how can i have
> aninfrastructure.
> I mean
> - eCos on the main flash
> - a fliesystem (preferabl jjjffs2) on it,
> - applications having installed in the main flashh
> - boot scripting - ability to start the applications above at boot time
> so similar stuff as SVR4 init
> such i thing i would like is possible?

To be clear, eCos is a single process, multi-threaded real-time operating
system. You only run a single application. It can do many things in
threads which on other OS's might be different processes, and eCos keeps
things light-weight by using threads.

You can store more than one application in flash, and use the RedBoot boot
firmware to choose which one you want to load and run. RedBoot can manage
flash, and run the programs. The flash can also contain a JFFS2 filesystem
which your program could load and use. But it doesn't run programs from
it. You can also define a boot script in RedBoot for automatic booting.

In future, you would be better addressing queries like this to the
"ecos-discuss" mailing list: http://ecos.sourceware.org/intouch.html

Jifl