* Freescale and Lua copyrights
@ 2014-01-24 15:31 Michael Jones
From: Michael Jones @ 2014-01-24 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-maintainers

All,

I am working on a Freescale iMX6 hal and various other additions like telnet, lua, etc.

I have two copyright issues. One, the Freescale copyright, and second, the Lua copyright.

I would like to avoid recoding all the iMX6 SDK code.

I am using the register files (over 100) and various parts of the C code. Furthermore, in the case of register include files, they are auto generated by Freescale and today there are 3 revisions for 3 iMX6 cores (1,2,4 cores), which is 9 different sets of files. I can write scripts that handle renaming of #defines and functions such that future revisions can be quickly incorporated. Also, keeping close to the SDK allows me to leverage updates to the SDK, diff code, etc.

I would like to resolve this quickly so I can plan for evolving the current semi-hacked working version of the iMX6 hal to a version suitable for incorporation (desired), or if the effort is too large, remain independent (not desired). It is difficult to know where to invest time without knowing what will be allowed.

Can you accept this Freescale Copyright into the official eCos code base:

/*
 * Copyright (c) 2012, Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.
 * All rights reserved.
 *
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY FREESCALE "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
 * WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
 * MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT
 * SHALL FREESCALE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL,
 * EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT
 * OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS
 * INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN
 * CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING
 * IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY
 * OF SUCH DAMAGE.
 */

I have a Lua 5.2.3 port that is fully functional. It has minimal modifications. It is called from my telnetd package (will be submitted to eCos with full copyright assignment when mature). There is no way to rewrite this to avoid the copyright, so will you accept this Lua Copyright into the official eCos code base:

/******************************************************************************
* Copyright (C) 1994-2013 Lua.org, PUC-Rio.
*
* Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining
* a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the
* "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including
* without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish,
* distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to
* permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to
* the following conditions:
*
* The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
* included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
*
* THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
* EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
* MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
* IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY
* CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT,
* TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE
* SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

Michael Jones
email: mike@proclivis.com
ecos iMX6Q Project: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ecosfreescale