* Bugzilla 3.4.6 and Mercurial 1.5 updates
@ 2010-03-11 10:22 Alex Schuilenburg
From: Alex Schuilenburg @ 2010-03-11 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-maintainers

Hi

bugs.ecos.sourceware.org has now been updated to bugzilla 3.4.6 and
mercurial has been updated on hg-pub.ecoscentric.com to version 1.5

I have done basic sanity checking and all appears fine.  If you or
anyone else encounter any problems with either, please let me know as usual.

BTW, should the DRCS discussion rear its head anytime soon, this is a
useful website for those new to DRCS and Mercurial:
  http://hginit.com/index.html

-- Alex Schuilenburg
Managing Director/CEO                                eCosCentric Limited
Tel:  +44 1223 245571                     Barnwell House, Barnwell Drive
Fax:  +44 1223 248712                             Cambridge, CB5 8UU, UK
www.ecoscentric.com             Reg in England and Wales, Reg No 4422071

  ** Visit us at ESC Silicon Valley <http://www.embedded.com/esc/sv> **
  ** 27-29 April 2010, Booth 640, San Jose McEnery Convention Center **

* Re: Bugzilla 3.4.6 and Mercurial 1.5 updates
@ 2010-03-11 19:27 ` Sergei Gavrikov
From: Sergei Gavrikov @ 2010-03-11 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Schuilenburg; +Cc: ecos-maintainers

Alex Schuilenburg wrote:

> Hi
>
> bugs.ecos.sourceware.org has now been updated to bugzilla 3.4.6 and
> mercurial has been updated on hg-pub.ecoscentric.com to version 1.5
>
> I have done basic sanity checking and all appears fine.  If you or
> anyone else encounter any problems with either, please let me know as
> usual.

Hi Alex,

Thank you for this announce and HG eCos "mirror" on hg-pub. HG 1.5? Cool!
Even on my recent Ubuntu I have installed Mercurial 1.3.1. I can confirm
that I have no problem with new version (checked).

> BTW, should the DRCS discussion rear its head anytime soon, this is a
> useful website for those new to DRCS and Mercurial:
>  http://hginit.com/index.html

And I would suggest to start from official Mercurial Home at once, more
that Joel in his "cartoon" presentation suggests the same on the last
page.

More short intro (no pictures)
http://mercurial.selenic.com/guide/

Working practices
http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/WorkingPractices

Nostalgia
http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/CvsLikePractice

And Bible. Mercurial: The Definitive Guide
http://hgbook.red-bean.com/

I found no words about Mercurial Queues (MQ) in Joel's intro :-( The MQ is
DRCS style to manage the series of patches (and we manage the patches in
the most). It is pity that hgqinit.com is a free domain :-) Fortunately,
'Mercurial: The Definitive Guide' graceful covers this topic (Chapters 12
and 13).

Of course, practice to clone is useful in some cases, but, I listen how
Git geeks will say: Git's branching are no-disk-waste operations, and HG
clones? Hm... Fortunately, I knew the very effective HG's no-disk-waste
operation, those are `hg q*'.

Have a single central repository under HG, setup the DRCSed "repository"
for a queue of the patches: `hg qinit' and then manage MQs (=patches) `hg
qnew': do hundreds of HG `hg qrefresh', `hg qcommit' (that is your pain,
your mistakes, your experimental stuff, if you want nobody see that ever)
and then in one day type `hg qfinish' to apply excellent patch to the
central repository.

End of MQ (hg qinit) propaganda.

Sergei

* Re: Bugzilla 3.4.6 and Mercurial 1.5 updates
@ 2010-03-13  0:20   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2010-03-13  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergei Gavrikov; +Cc: Alex Schuilenburg, ecos-maintainers

On 11/03/10 19:27, Sergei Gavrikov wrote:
> Of course, practice to clone is useful in some cases, but, I listen how
> Git geeks will say: Git's branching are no-disk-waste operations, and HG
> clones? Hm... Fortunately, I knew the very effective HG's no-disk-waste
> operation, those are `hg q*'.

As I've noted in the large email I've just sent about DCVS's :-), hg has
many more ways to branch than that. Plus hg clones on the same local disk
can use hard links to save space.

> Have a single central repository under HG, setup the DRCSed "repository"
> for a queue of the patches: `hg qinit' and then manage MQs (=patches)
> `hg qnew': do hundreds of HG `hg qrefresh', `hg qcommit' (that is your
> pain, your mistakes, your experimental stuff, if you want nobody see
> that ever) and then in one day type `hg qfinish' to apply excellent
> patch to the central repository.

I know that Nick and Bart who've been using mercurial have been using
these. I've yet to try and use them in anger - my playing so far didn't
get as far as that. They do sound good (like git's staging area).

Jifl