public inbox for elfutils@sourceware.org
* eu-dbgserver vs. valgrind --debuginfo-server=ipaddr:port
@ 2019-09-20  3:43 Hans-Peter Nilsson
From: Hans-Peter Nilsson @ 2019-09-20  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: elfutils-devel

Hi.  I attended FChE's debuginfo-server talk at the GNU Tools
Cauldron (nice meeting you there BTW).

I happened to re-read the valgrind manpage yesterday (grr:
--error-exitcode isn't the default) and stumbled upon a "new"
feature mentioned there: apparently valgrind has a debug-info
server of its own, for use with its
--debuginfo-server=ipaddr:port option (in version 3.9.0+).

Anyway, I was curious enough to grep the elfutils dbgserver
branch and the valgrind code (auxprogs/valgrind-di-server.c in
git://sourceware.org/git/valgrind.git) but IIUC they're not
compatible.

I don't see valgrind mentioned in the three dbgserver messages I
see in the elfutils archive, so maybe this feature was unknown
rather than deliberately not supported or out of scope, so...
well now you know, if you didn't.

(Patches to support valgrind queries you say?  Sorry, can't
volunteer until I'm done with all my other chores to do more
than this cursory investigation. :)

Or maybe I misunderstood something, and each has a profoundly
different scope to the other.

brgds, H-P

* Re: eu-dbgserver vs. valgrind --debuginfo-server=ipaddr:port
@ 2019-09-20 14:28 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2019-09-20 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans-Peter Nilsson; +Cc: elfutils-devel

Hi, HP -

> Hi.  I attended FChE's debuginfo-server talk at the GNU Tools
> Cauldron (nice meeting you there BTW).

Yes, lovely!

> I happened to re-read the valgrind manpage yesterday (grr:
> --error-exitcode isn't the default) and stumbled upon a "new"
> feature mentioned there: apparently valgrind has a debug-info
> server of its own, for use with its
> --debuginfo-server=ipaddr:port option (in version 3.9.0+).

Heh, I wasn't actually aware of this one, thanks!  Yeah, they're not
compatible or identical in scope, only in inspiration in the problem
space (debug data may be somewhere else).  The buildid-based search
elsewhere in valgrind (find_debug_file()) would be a good place to add
the new quiet call.  If that fails, the old client/server
filename-based logic could still be retained as a fallback.

> (Patches to support valgrind queries you say?  Sorry, can't
> volunteer until I'm done with all my other chores to do more
> than this cursory investigation. :)

:-)

- FChE

* Re: eu-dbgserver vs. valgrind --debuginfo-server=ipaddr:port
@ 2019-09-20 14:39   ` Hans-Peter Nilsson
From: Hans-Peter Nilsson @ 2019-09-20 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fche; +Cc: elfutils-devel

> From: "Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche@redhat.com>
> Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 16:28:30 +0200

> The buildid-based search
> elsewhere in valgrind (find_debug_file()) would be a good place to add
> the new quiet call.  If that fails, the old client/server
> filename-based logic could still be retained as a fallback.

(Ooh, they're buildid-aware, and I see there's developer overlap!)
Yes, that certainly seems like the right thing to do.

brgds, H-P